Is living together, but not sharing a room ok for now?

We are not married but we’ve stopped having sex. But, financially, it would be very difficult not to live together until we are married. We’ve been living together for 4-5 years, have a 2 1/2 yr old son. I want to do what is right for my family and for my soul. If we do not share a room, is that okay? I hope you answer all my implied questions and any that I might not know to ask. Please help.

Dear Zachary,

You sound sincere and obviously want to live according to God’s law. You are doing the right thing by living in a celibate way and not sharing a room, but also by caring for your family. I suggest that you get married as soon as possible. Never mind a big fancy wedding. Such would be highly inappropriate, given the history of your relationship. A simple, private one is all that is needed and appropriate. You do need the sacrament with its sanctifying grace. Write again if you need to. You both are in God’s favor in your attempts to please Him. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.