Is Lord Jesus, the only man, who is (a) God?

Is Lord Jesus, the only man, who is (a) God?

Do CCC and the Fathers say it?

Yes, Jesus, the only begotten Son of God, was both fully human and fully God. The Nicene Creed states:

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

That pronoun there is problematic. The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus was fully human and fully GOD, the 2nd person of the Trinity.
Father, Son and Holy Spirit 1 GOD

Jesus is not a God. Jesus is God. The Holy Trinity is one God.

A man named Jesus did not become God. God incarnated as a man named Jesus.

I mean where in Church sources said that “Lord Jesus is only incarnation of GOD”?

I’m not talking about persons of trinity. I’m talking about incarnation.

Read CCC paras 456 - 478 in link below:

scborromeo.org/mobileccc/p122a3p1.htm#461

By the way, what kind of Christian are you if you don’t believe Jesus was fully human and fully God. Your profile says you are Christian.

You are anwering what you want! I’m not asking “Was Jesus fully human and fully God?”

I’m asking “Was Jesus the only one who was fully human and fully God?”

But in CCC, you referd, we read:

460 The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:78 "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God."79 "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."80 "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."81

So other men can be God.

Yes Jesus was the only person to be fully human and fully God.

If you really are a Christian then I don’t understand why you even ask that question because you should know the answer.

You have to be careful here when reading this. We can aspire to join Jesus and the Angels to be in the presence of the beatific vision, be with God and see HIM, however we will never become omniscient, omnipresent, all powerfull.
But by being with HIM we can share with whatever God wills us to know.

So yes compared to our present condition we could be described as “gods” but never as GOD. There is only one God and Jesus is GOD.
The only human ever that is fully human and fully GOD.

By being united with Him through the mistical body by way of Him giving us His flesh to nourish our Spirit and become perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect. Those are Jesus’s words by the way.
Hope this clears any misunderstanding.

I knew this, But I don’t know why we must think so! My question is not “to be or not to be!”

I asked at first: “Do CCC and the Fathers say it?”

What is our evidence for this claim?

This sunday reading from the Gospel of Matthew seems to be apropos to your question.

11:2 Now when John had heard, in prison, about the works of Christ, sending two of his disciples, he said to him,
11:3 “Are you he who is to come, or should we expect another?”
11:4 And Jesus, responding, said to them: “Go and report to John what you have heard and seen.
11:5 The blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise again, the poor are evangelized.
11:6 And blessed is he who has found no offense in me.”
11:7 Then, after they departed, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: “What did you go out to the desert to see? A reed shaken by the wind?
11:8 So what did you go out to see? A man in soft garments? Behold, those who are clothed in soft garments are in the houses of kings.
11:9 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.
11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send my Angel before your face, who shall prepare your way before you.’
11:11 Amen I say to you, among those born of women, there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
11:12 But from the days of John the Baptist, even until now, the kingdom of heaven has endured violence, and the violent carry it away.
11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied, even until John.
11:14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah, who is to come.
11:15 Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear.
11:16 But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplace,
11:17 who, calling out to their companions, say: ‘We played music for you, and you did not dance. We lamented, and you did not mourn.’
11:18 For John came neither eating nor drinking; and they say, ‘He has a demon.’
11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking; and they say, ‘Behold, a man who eats voraciously and who drinks wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is justified by her sons.”

By the way we also read Isaiah 36:1 in the 1st reading.

You said you knew this so I ask you how you knew this?

I don’t think so. I can’t see any realtionship to my question. Please answer what I exactly asked.

“The only-begotten Son of God” means just that. The only one.

Yes, he is the only-begotten Son of God.

And he is the only word of God.

But what is the evidence for: “He is the only God incarnate”?

Because there is one God according to Christianity. There aren’t other gods to be incarnated, so the whole question is meaningless.

And regarding the quote from the ccc about ‘God became man so that man might become God.’ Incarnation only refers to Jesus. No one else is ever said to be God incarnate. The idea is that the divine person of the Son put on human nature and made it his own. Through Grace human persons can put on divine nature. Some of the fathers spoke of Jesus puting on the robe of human nature, and us puting on the robe of divinity. What is underneath remains the same. Jesus was still God, and all men will still be men even if they share in the divine qualities.

Dear Jimmy, Your argument is not true!

I do not talk about several Gods, I’m talking about several incarnations, As one God may have 3 persons, He can have more than 1 incarnation.

This is Argument from ignorance. We can’t say Lord Jesus is the only God incarnate, just because no one else is ever said to be God incarnate.

I need some Logical arguments.

My, my, God HAS 3 persons they are not swapping positions incarnating in and out of humanity.
Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity became man once and for all. He will return at the end of time and will rule in eternity.
The Father will always be the Father and the Holy Spirit also will remain the Holy Spirit.
There is NO reincarnation, Jesus came back from the dead, He posseses the same human body that He had when He was crucified.
When He returns it will be the same Jesus that ascended to Heaven in Galilee.

Yes, Jesus is only God incarnate, 1st person and 3th person of trinity doesn’t become man, but it seems that no pope and no father and no council said it! We just think so since beggining to now!

I’m looking for evidence for this fact that Church realy teached it frankly!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.