Is Lying a Sin?

Hello all,

I have this project for a class and it involved doing an activity outside of the classroom. I didn’t do the activity, but if I don’t do the paper afterwards I’ll get a bad grade. I wrote the paper saying I did the activity, but I haven’t turned it in yet. If I turned it in to get a grade I would be lying saying I did it when really i didn’t! I don’t want to do this, but there’s a lot of work to be done in school and this would make my life a lot easier.

HELP!!

Lying can yes be said to be a sin.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a8.htm#2483

Call me crazy, but I’m one to believe that all forms of lying, including white lies, are either venial or mortal sin. God *never *lies, right? And we are to follow his example, right? :shrug:

From the link posted by Bootcat:

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION
OFFENSES AGAINST TRUTH
2485 “By its very nature, lying is to be condemned. It is a profanation of speech, whereas the purpose of speech is to communicate known truth to others. The deliberate intention of leading a neighbor into error by saying things contrary to the truth constitutes a failure in justice and charity. The culpability is greater when the intention of deceiving entails the risk of deadly consequences for those who are led astray.”

:confused:

It can be sinful in many other ways:

Lying with another man’s wife would be sinful.

Lying with a sibling would be sinful.

Lying with another person of the same sex would be sinful.

Lying with an animal would be sinful.:smiley:

I slightly disagree. The family that hid Anne Frank and her Jewish family from the Nazis lied to the authorities and to their neighbors, telling them they did not know of any Jews being hidden in the area.

Was that lie sinful?

The Truth will set you free, my friend!
Yes, lying is sinful. Of course, God is also a loving Father who will let you chose to sin or not. But He is also pretty great and sooo loving He will likely reward your honesty. Believe that He’ll keep you from harm even though you didn’t go to the activity, didn’t accomplish the task fully. Or at least use your bad grade to humble you and help you improve. :thumbsup:

Can you hustle and get the activity done before writing the paper?

If not, here’s what I would do: I would preface my paper by saying that I did not do the activity, but here is a paper as if I had done the activity. That way your instructor will have the whole scoop; this way you wouldn’t be lying, and you might have a chance at actually getting a decent grade.

Of course, the instructor might fail you anyway, but failing is much better than lying.

If you have a good reason for not doing the activity (my mom needed to go to the emergency room and that took the two hours I would have needed to do the activity), I would mention that too.

Using mental reservation that would not even be a lie.
For example, if the family answered the Nazis vocally “there are no Jews here” and silently continued “that you are entitled to know about” then that is not a lie.

First, why didn’t you do whatever you were supposed to?

Second, why don’t you get it done now?

And ultimately, who are you hurting by not doing what you were assigned?

You are going to “get” a bad grade? No - you went out of your way to “earn” it. Time to show a bit of maturity and start telling the truth.

And then it is time to start doing what you are supposed to, instead of coming to the forum and trying to weasel on what you are supposed to be doing.

Your life would be easier: You are lucky you are not my child. You think things are tough now? You have no idea. It is time to start acting responsibly - and that means doing what you are supposed to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.