Is lying about pregnancy in job application, if legally permissable, sinful?

In country D laws and case law explicitely allow a pregnant woman to withhold any information regarding her pregnancy to employer or potential employer. Especially, she may without any negative consequence lie in interviews, if asked whether she is pregant.

The intention is, that the state intents to ensure that no woman is denied a job due to being pregnant based on the braoder intent to avoid economic hardship for expetant mothers.

The only legal consequence of lying to employer or potential employer is that the employer is not responsible for any damage caused due to lack of knowlegde by being unable to adjust the woman’s work situation and requirements accordingly (e.g. if a woman is pregnant and works with embryotoxic material, the employer is not responsible for any damage to the child as long as employer is not told about pregnancy).

A applies for the job and expects she would not get the job, if the employer would know she is pregnant, because the employer has a strong bias against female employes with young children being lazy; but A thinks she will nontheless do the job well (having a husband and family helping her with caring for the child; presume that its not harmful for the child if she has a job); she also needs the job to avoid her family relying on welfare; she gets asked by employer B, whether she is pregnant or plans to become pregnant soon; A lies and gets the job.

Did A sin?

If A asked beforehand about whether she should lie and C encouraged her to lie, if asked, did C sin?

If leave that line blank and not answer, it isn’t a lie.

If asked during the interview, “Are you pregnant?” The answer is “I prefer not to answer.” No lie.

I thought that sort of questioning is illegal.

I thought so. I’m not a woman, but I would lie. If someone is asking that question, they deserve to be lied to.

I think the ONLY circumstance that that question should ever be asked in an interview is if there is some kind of hazardous condition (chemicals, etc…) that could be harmful to the baby. Otherwise, it’s NOBODY’s business.

The employer knows more about the position than A does. If A is asked if she is pregnant, she should not lie. How would A intend to hide the pregnancy? When A starts to show, what will happen? No, the stress A will bring upon herself from this will effect her pregnancy.

A doesn’t even know if she will be rejected because of her pregnancy, she’s just guessing.

There is no sin in hypothetical scenarios.

I forget to add, that after the contract is signed, she can no longer be fired at least till some months after birth; hence, she has a chance to just do her job well.

But the stress from having no job might be as serious or more; but that is A’s to evaluate.

While it is guessing, it is not an unlikely guess in a country that saw need to have such laws.

And what else could be the intent of the question, whether she is pregnant in a job interview?

Regarding the job, A should only apply to jobs with serious hazards if she is qualified for them; then she can to some extent decide for herself to what extent it is an acceptable risk after she knows the details of the job, prior to signing.

@Arizona Fat Girl
In countries with such laws the question usually is. But i thought whether the question is illegal does not affect morality in any way, if already lying is explicitedly allowed.

Well I can’t speak for other countries but in the USA asking the question would be a lawsuit.

However this is a small window of time we are talking about. Depending on when one “shows” there may be no need to “lie” because the body tells the truth. :wink:

I remember with our first we were nervous about employers because you hear a lot of horror stories. Honestly, I’ve never met an employer who would make an unfair judgement.

That being said. My wife and I have both not hired applicants because they were pregnant. It was common sense. We were hiring for a project and couldn’t afford to have the maternity leave be an issue. So I suppose it does make a difference. :shrug:

It’s a fine line to walk in both sides of the interview table…

We don’t do evil that good may come of it. Lying is wrong.

However, we are under no obligation to answer a question that someone has no business asking us.

How would that person deserve to be lied to? Presuming it’s legal for the application/interviewer to ask, it’s a legitimate question for the employer to ask. It would probably be sinful TO lie about it!

Right. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I have to think the company would be in the wrong for asking in the first place.

At one company I worked for I was just about to be promoted when a new president was hired and he instituted a temporary hiring freeze. During the freeze I became pregnant (not to mention because the position I’d applied for was empty, I was basically already doing it because somebody had to.) I was later interviewed again and my supervisor, who knew I was pregnant because it was visible by that point, told me not to reveal it (which I could because I was interviewed remotely.) Nobody knew until about two months before when I submitted my leave paperwork (at the end of which I was let go anyway.)

Employment discrimination is a real thing. I’ve heard of women not wearing rings to interviews just so they don’t look like they might be the kind of people who would get pregnant. I can understand some of it from a company’s point of view, but only some. People work for their families primarily, and that understanding is sorely lacking in many places.

They don’t have a right to know. Therefore, I recommend saying “I prefer not to answer that” at the job interview. On the job application, leave that answer blank.

In the USA, it is illegal to ask about pregnancy.

I think people can do all sorts of odd things for interviews. I doubt a ring has ever made a Difference. employers can use all sorts of criteria. A few jobs ago my wife was taken for granted because they knew she had kids and probably wouldn’t leave the position because she was some support for her family. They were wrong she packed up and moved us accross country for a better salary in the same industry.

My wife is pregnant a lot. :D. It has never really hindered employment.

I know from personal experience an employer can refuse to hire someone no matter what the reason is. Keep in mind, an employer does not have to divulge the reason why someone was not hired after an interview, even if they were forced to answer, they could make something up, not enough experience, over qualified, not a good fit for the job, etc etc. This DOES NOT mean its the real reason though.

Point is if an employer does not want to hire you (no matter what the reason, legal or not), they CAN do this.

In my past jobs, I have seen people not hired solely because they were not physically attractive enough, over their race, being gay, and age (too old), however if it came down to it and the interviewer was forced to give the reason, they would definitely give a more appropriate, legal reason.

The question, “Is it a sin to lie in this case” is easily answered, for all cases - yes, it is a sin. Lying contradicts the purpose of the communicative faculty, which was designed by God to express the truth.

The question can often be though, “Would this actually be a lie?”

In this case, it is not totally clear, but to me it seems it would not be a lie… It would seem reasonable that employers would know this law, and so the question-answer dynamic is ruined from the get-go: how can one possibly expect that a “no” unequivocally means “no” when the law protects responses of this kind? It creates an abnormal context. So a “no” really no longer means anything and therefore isn’t really able to communicate anything due to that special context.

As i already said, asking the question is illegal and lying is permissable.

But the question being illegal does not mean, it isn’t asked and therefore the applicant sometimes has to decide, whether she answers that she isn’t pregnant although she is as allowed by secular laws.

The solution of e_c is interesting to not consider it a lie, as the secular laws imply for the interviewer that “no” could either mean “yes” and “no” and hence he does not receive any information from the “no” and therefore was not lied to.

About the solution “I prefer not to answer.”, that is also a good idea, but in some circumstances it might be not as “usefull” as a “no”, cause it might make interviewer suspicious; or alternatively it is understood as indication that one is a complicated potential employee, who often refers to and makes use of employment laws (this is for some companies a problem, that some people to often resort to the law for settling things, that can be settled far easier without the law, which isn’t perfect anyway).

If one is going to state an untruth in response to the question, but by some contortion have it judged not a lie, better to make hay while the sun shines and say something far more grand than “no”! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.