Is man the at his peak?

What is the position of the Church, regarding the prospect that man may not end up being at the peak on an evolutionary scale, as he is regarded today but is one day surpassed.
When we consider that humans nearly died out at one point.

[quote="aprilfloyd, post:1, topic:320674"]
What is the position of the Church, regarding the prospect that man may not end up being at the peak on an evolutionary scale, as he is regarded today but is one day surpassed.
When we consider that humans nearly died out at one point.

[/quote]

That would be a matter of science, so the Church wouldn't have a position. If we become "more" of creatures than we already are, we'd still be human.

I meant if a different ‘creature’ evolved to pass us intellectually and every other way to be superior to humans.

As I said, this is a matter of science. I would venture to say that the Church would say they still had rational and immortal souls in need of God’s forgiveness. They would be the ‘new’ humans. Nothing would change.

They'd still be humans and descended from humans, just with new and possibly better abilities.

[quote="aprilfloyd, post:3, topic:320674"]
I meant if a different 'creature' evolved to pass us intellectually and every other way to be superior to humans.

[/quote]

Oh that will never happen. ;) No need to even worry about that.

Man alone of all creatures is made in the image and likeness of God. God raised the status of humankind immeasurably by taking humanity upon Himself in the person of Christ.

Unless and until He does this for other creatures, they will never be our superiors in any way that matters.

[quote="aprilfloyd, post:3, topic:320674"]
I meant if a different 'creature' evolved to pass us intellectually and every other way to be superior to humans.

[/quote]

Have you ever though about the fact that it has been scientifically proven that: dolphins are as intelligent as humans, many species of monkeys and apes are amazingly intelligent many almost like humans, elephants have way better memory than humans, most big mammals are way stronger and powerful than humans, dogs and cats and many other species have ten times better sense of hearing vision, hearing and smell than humans, compared to most mammals humans are the weakest and most defenseless offsprings, most animals know before a natural disaster that it is going to happen, that humans are practically the only mammal species that commit the same error twice...and u can keep on going on an endless list of how our evolved human race is not that quite "evolved" as you may think if you compare it rationally to the animal kingdom. The big difference here and why we are "superior" is because God gave us free will, God gave up the power of making decisions and that is a power that no other species has and because no other species can make decicions no matter how much more evolved or intelligent they can be, they will never be able to surpass us. The lions in Africa cannot decide that given that they are more.powerful than humans they are going to ally with bears and tigers and all carnivorous to overthrown human civilization. Humans can. Big differemce. So basically what you are proposing can't happen because other species lack the capacity of making decisons.

2 good posts very well said! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.