Is Mark St. Peter's biological son? (1 St. Peter 5:13)

In the first book of St. Peter we find the following:

5:13b so does my son, Mark.

Is St. Peter making reference to an actual biological son or is he simply meaning that as his Spiritual son?

No more than Timothy was Paul’s son (1 Tim 1:18).

It’s spiritual.

Mark, if he is John Mark, is the son of Mary, who was living in Jerusalem at the time. He was, with his cousin Barnabas, a member of the tribe of Levi.

Given that Peter was a fisherman in Galilee, I don’t see this connection.

The first Christians were both biological and spiritual brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers.

This.

Mark, according to early tradition, was Peter’s ‘interpreter’ or hermeneutes, the ‘expounder’ (or maybe even ‘transcriber’ or ‘translator’) of Peter’s teaching.

Hi, James!

I have always made the connection to John Mark–and always in the same manner as with St. Paul’s reference to Timothy, a Spiritual affiliation.

…I suspect that when the issue of his rejection by St. Paul arose, St. Peter may have taken him under his wing:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]37 Barnabas suggested taking John Mark, 38 but Paul was not in favour of taking along the very man who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had refused to share in their work. 39 After a violent quarrel they parted company, and Barnabas sailed off with Mark to Cyprus.

(Acts 15:37-39)
…the reason I suspect this is because of what had been transpiring as the Church was being persecuted and St. Peter was a (if not the) prominent figure amongst the Christians and John Mark was known to him:

12 As soon as he realised this he went straight to the house of Mary the mother of John Mark,*b] where a number of people had assembled and were praying. 13 He knocked at the outside door and a servant called Rhoda came to answer it. 14 She recognised Peter’s voice and was so overcome with joy that, instead of opening the door, she ran inside with the news that Peter was standing at the main entrance. 15 They said to her, ‘You are out of your mind’, but she insisted that it was true. Then they said, ‘It must be his angel!’ 16 Peter, meanwhile, was still knocking, so they opened the door and were amazed to see that it really was Peter himself. 17 With a gesture of his hand he stopped them talking, and described to them how the Lord had led him out of prison. He added, ‘Tell James and the brothers’. Then he left and went another place. 18 When daylight came there was a great commotion among the soldiers, who could not imagine what had become of Peter. 19 Herod put out an unsuccessful search for him; he had the guards questioned, and before leaving Judaea to take up residence in Caesarea he gave orders for their execution.

(Acts 12:12-19)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.