Is marriage by a former priest valid?

My son is getting married in a church run by a former Catholic priest- Fr. Karl He calls it the Ecumenical Catholic Church of Christ International. He is now the Bishop & Primate of his church. Fr. Karl models his services on the Catholic mass, even using the same readings & prayers. The church is openly accepting of the homosexual lifestyle.

I believe that my son’s marriage will not be a valid Catholic marriage, nor sacramental. True?

I also believe that the communion offered at this church is not a valid sacrament. True?

I want my son to know the truth but I feel that this is a fight that I will lose, and so I am leaving it up to the Holy Spirit to bring my son back to the church in His own time. My plan so far is to request that the wedding not include mass, and then just treat this marriage as a Protestant or civil marriage.

How do I explain this to my son without alienating him?
Rose

You are correct that your son’s marriage would not be considered valid. Catholics are obligated by canon law to be married in the Catholic Church. Thus church is not in union with the Catholic Church.

I also believe that the communion offered at this church is not a valid sacrament. True?

The answer to that question is a bit more complicated. If he was validly ordained then he has received an indelible mark from ordination, he is always a priest. He would need to be using proper matter and form and have the proper intention to validly consecrated the Eucharist. This is entirely possible given your description that he is using the same prayers as the Catholic Church.

I want my son to know the truth but I feel that this is a fight that I will lose, and so I am leaving it up to the Holy Spirit to bring my son back to the church in His own time. My plan so far is to request that the wedding not include mass, and then just treat this marriage as a Protestant or civil marriage.

How do I explain this to my son without alienating him?

You know your son best so you are the best guide for how to handle the situation. I can only recommend that you speak the truth in the most loving and caring manner possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.