Is Marriage "Earthy" or a God-given Blessing?

Hi, all,
I am confused by some comments I have read on this website. Does your personal belief suggest that marriage is “earthy” and celibacy is more spiritually fulfilling, or that marriage is God-given and that it brings blessings of growth to the couple if they keep Christ in their marriage?

I am only trying to get a better understanding of personal perspectives on this from different points of view. (Please don’t bother to comment if you’re going to bring up polygamy, which has no bearing on this question.)

Thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful day.:thumbsup:

Marriage is a Sacrament.

The following is from the Catholic Catechism:

THE SACRAMENT OF MATRIMONY

1601 “The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.”

Consider this:

Marriage is a sacrament.

Profession of vows is not.

Think about it.

Marriage is God-given “So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Mt 19:6).

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (scborromeo.org/ccc.htm) teaches us that “Christian marriage in its turn becomes an efficacious sign, the sacrament of the covenant of Christ and the Church. Since it signifies and communicates grace, marriage between baptized persons is a true sacrament of the New Covenant…” (CCC 1617).

“Both the sacrament of Matrimony and virginity for the Kingdom of God come from the Lord himself. It is he who gives them meaning and grants them the grace which is indispensable for living them out in conformity with his will. Esteem of virginity for the sake of the kingdom and the Christian understanding of marriage are inseparable, and they reinforce each other:” (CCC 1620).

As far as being earthly, Jesus tells us; “For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.” (Mt 22:30).

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

Parker, both are gifts from God: one pointing to the union of Christ with His Bride, the Church, the other pointing to the fruition of the Kingdom when there will be no need for giving and taking in marriage. St. Paul, while seeming to prefer the celibate life - both personally and in counsel - sees the value of both expressions of love for God: “Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage… Those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that… The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about worldly affairs, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided” (1 Cor. 7:27-34). Earlier he explained that celibacy is a calling for some and not for others: “Each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another” (1 Cor. 7:7).

Our Lord Himself (Whose celibacy is emulated by many of His priests) speaks of celibacy in Matthew 19:11-12: “Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it.” Again, the emphasis is on the special nature of celibacy, one for which not all are suited, but one that nevertheless gives glory to “the kingdom of God.”

ParkerD,

God calls some to marriage, others are called to serve Him in other ways. Marriage is a Sacrament. Unlike the Sacrament of Baptism, Matrimony is not required for Salvation. Marriage is divinely ordered. (Ordered, as in arranged, not required.)

“The intimate community of life and love which constitutes the married state has been established by the Creator and endowed by him with its own proper laws. . . . God himself is the author of marriage.”

A Catholic marriage takes place during a Holy Mass. The Sacrament of Marriage, like all Sacraments, is closely connected to the Paschal mystery.

"In the Eucharist the memorial of the New Covenant is realized, the New Covenant in which Christ has united himself for ever to the Church, his beloved bride for whom he gave himself up. It is therefore fitting that the spouses should seal their consent to give themselves to each other through the offering of their own lives by uniting it to the offering of Christ for his Church made present in the Eucharistic sacrifice, and by receiving the Eucharist so that, communicating in the same Body and the same Blood of Christ, they may form but “one body” in Christ.

“Inasmuch as it is a sacramental action of sanctification, the liturgical celebration of marriage . . . must be, per se, valid, worthy, and fruitful.” It is therefore appropriate for the bride and groom to prepare themselves for the celebration of their marriage by receiving the sacrament of penance."

Of course, all Sacraments confer specific effects and graces. The effects of the Sacrament of Matrimony, specifically, are:

“From a valid marriage arises a *bond *between the spouses which by its very nature is perpetual and exclusive; furthermore, in a Christian marriage the spouses are strengthened and, as it were, consecrated for the duties and the dignity of their state by a special sacrament.”

**The marriage bond

The consent by which the spouses mutually give and receive one another is sealed by God himself. From their covenant arises “an institution, confirmed by the divine law, . . . even in the eyes of society.” The covenant between the spouses is integrated into God’s covenant with man: “Authentic married love is caught up into divine love.”

Thus the marriage bond has been established by God himself in such a way that a marriage concluded and consummated between baptized persons can never be dissolved. This bond, which results from the free human act of the spouses and their consummation of the marriage, is a reality, henceforth irrevocable, and gives rise to a covenant guaranteed by God’s fidelity. The Church does not have the power to contravene this disposition of divine wisdom.

The grace of the sacrament of matrimony “By reason of their state in life and of their order, [Christian spouses] have their own special gifts in the People of God.” This grace proper to the sacrament of Matrimony is intended to perfect the couple’s love and to strengthen their indissoluble unity. By this grace they “help one another to attain holiness in their married life and in welcoming and educating their children.”

Christ is the source of this grace. “Just as of old God encountered his people with a covenant of love and fidelity, so our Savior, the spouse of the Church, now encounters Christian spouses through the sacrament of Matrimony.” Christ dwells with them, gives them the strength to take up their crosses and so follow him, to rise again after they have fallen, to forgive one another, to bear one another’s burdens, to “be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ,” and to love one another with supernatural, tender, and fruitful love. In the joys of their love and family life he gives them here on earth a foretaste of the wedding feast of the Lamb:

How can I ever express the happiness of a marriage joined by the Church, strengthened by an offering, sealed by a blessing, announced by angels, and ratified by the Father? . . . How wonderful the bond between two believers, now one in hope, one in desire, one in discipline, one in the same service! They are both children of one Father and servants of the same Master, undivided in spirit and flesh, truly two in one flesh. Where the flesh is one, one also is the spirit.

As previous posts have shown, not all are called to matrimony. Choosing celibacy is choosing to forsake being married. It is not a declaration that this Holy Sacrament is invalid. Those who do choose celibacy do so for the sake of the Kingdom of God.

Both the sacrament of Matrimony and virginity for the Kingdom of God come from the Lord himself. It is he who gives them meaning and grants them the grace which is indispensable for living them out in conformity with his will. Esteem of virginity for the sake of the kingdom and the Christian understanding of marriage are inseparable, and they reinforce each other:
Whoever denigrates marriage also diminishes the glory of virginity. Whoever praises it makes virginity more admirable and resplendent. What appears good only in comparison with evil would not be truly good. The most excellent good is something even better than what is admitted to be good.

To each of those who have responded:
Thanks for sharing these insights! It has definitely helped me get a better understanding of your beliefs concerning the sacrament of marriage. I appreciate each comment, and learned from each one. God bless each of you.

(Mormons - polygamy, polygamy, polygamy, polygamy, polygamy, !!!:D:D:D)
:rotfl:( sorry, I couldn’t help my self )!:rotfl: I’m only playing with you!:stuck_out_tongue:

ParkerD, here is a good expression of marriage for you,

Any way, celibacy is a holy and very blesses condition to remain in. Not just my point of view but the bible does mention this too.
Marriage, on the other hand is something that must take place so that the man and woman are brought together officially so that they are not shaming them selves to have children out of marriage. They are brought together that God may accept their children as (legitimate) children from true christian parents who have come together to breed rather than “folly”. Marriage is a way of producing holy children rather than earthly resulting children (I say this as a figure of speech - children out of marriage are not blessed so they are not children from respectable parents). They have come about from two people disrespectfully of each other having fooled around.
Marriage is about children - NOT the husband and wife!

Warning: Do not chose eather based of what SOMEONE ELSE thinks is best.

Celibacy REQUIRES a high level of
self control. If you have it great.
If you don’t have it and women look as good to you as they do to me…forget about celibacy and don’t even ask about it.

Some ask what’s more holy,or try celibacy because the apostle approved of it. These things don’t matter unless YOU have the ability
to persue celibacy.

I do and I will practice celibacy! (p.s. I am a woman).
If you can’t restrain your self, then boo - hoo to you!:rotfl:
You don’t know what your missing,when you don’t have a partney you can concentrate on other matters - like your relationship with the Lord!
excaliber - try it!:smiley:

Boo hoo??? what did you hit your head on :wink:

Most people can’t restrain themselves and enjoy not being restrained. LOL

I have tried celibacy so ha ha :slight_smile:

I focused on God and went up the ranks of the Jehovah’s witnesses fast. So I know all about that LOL.

You better be sure, or you will be
realy upset with no children or husband. Just you Kie, Bonnie and God. But again if you CAN, celibacy is the way to go. Just as the bible say’s.

P.S. I think Celibacy for a set period of time is good for anyone, healthy spiritualy.

I would encourage a young person
to try celibacy for 3 years or so, If
they do well and can remain focused without distraction and are sure they don’t want children
or a spouce…then that’s great.

“What did I hit my head on”? - the bible, unlike you!:smiley:

Celibacy is fantastic - what do you mean by you might regret not having children or a hubby?
1 - Children are a drag, emotionally and physically:D (if you know what I mean)!
2 - Men are a waste of time and space!:wink:
3 - I should become a nun!:stuck_out_tongue:
4 - There is only one man for me, Christ! Amen to that alone!:bounce:

Yay, just me, Kie, Bonnie and God! Sounds good to me!
No Joseph Smith in those ingredients but lots of Jesus involved as a side dish!:console:

Nice come back, but I have an arsenal :slight_smile:

“It is not good for the man to CONTINUE alone, so I will make a helper for him”. GOD trumps the apostle :wink:

1)Children are a gift that keeps on giving.
2)Men are only a waste of time during the playoffs :wink:
3) Kie and Bonnie will miss you LOL.
4) That will be true if you become a nun LOL

to trust a man in the first place!:smiley:
3 - Kie and Bonnie are cute and fluffy - unlike kids! (I can buy a dog - I have to push a child out!):frowning:
4 - I should be a nun…:nun2:

I will be back to annoy you tomorrow excaliber!

P.S. Why don’t you get ordained as a priest:highprayer: and I can be your nun! We can adventure the world together spreading the good news! We shall call our selves “the followers”!:rotfl:

xxx jennifer xxx

Shall I open up a can of whooping…yes I shall ha ha

1. Adam was also punished, if eve would have trusted her man…we would not be in this mess LOL

2. A new born baby is far to cute
    and cuddley to be a punishment.

3. Kie and bonnie are not human, animals don’t compare to a person
    in the image of God. True woman have to push, but its the poor man
    that gets his hand squeezed and ends up passing out LOL

4. If your a nun you have to say bye bye to flufy little kie and bonnie.

Im not going to be a real priest because I like girls. But we can play priest and nun for pretend.
Your penance is to give me 100 holy kisses. Ha Ha I like being a priest.
[/quote]

I strongly believes that, its from God. And maybe one of the precious gift to each person.

As there is somewhere in Bible which says

" I will give perfect partner to you "… Sorry, not maybe the words are not correct but it also meant the same

dremay - :rotfl:Dream on!!!:rotfl:

Is that really what you believe!? - I have actually heard this verse, you are correct but it’s not always true for everyone!

xxxx:Dxxxx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.