Is Marriage Obsolete?

A new study, by the Pew Research Center, shows that nearly 40 percent of Americans think the institution of marriage is becoming obsolete.

In the new paradigm, marriage is just one in a range of choices that are selected depending on one’s circumstances and inclinations.

Most single Americans still say they would like to marry eventually, but not, apparently, right away. Cohabitation has become the gateway to married life for many couples, or even an end in itself. Even among Catholics, this is now the norm.

This is a major shift in the thinking of Americans.

See the article, from msnbc:

msnbc.msn.com/id/40253588/ns/health-behavior/

statistics... :shrug:
why not say "60% of Americans support marriage"?
or
"70% of children are in a traditional family"?

The secular, civil attitudes about marriage have totally lost their moorings to natural law. On that account, I can see why the general public thinks marriage has become obselete.

It is like a conversation that happened way back in the 1980s. Out with college friends and some of the staff (these were not 20-somethings), I heard this from one friend (divorced), "I don't think you should get married, unless you are going to have kids." "Kids?" said another (also divorced), "What difference does that make? How many marriages are still together by the time the kids are 15, anyway?" To which I thought, "Well, pretty much every one I know." I grew up where divorce was very rare, a land of "Divorce, never! Homicide?..well, maybe."

Marriage has become a way for people (currently only couples, but I expect that to change) who commit to a common sex and financial life to claim certain legal entitlements on account of it. There is little or nothing that the married couple is truly expected to give to society in return. I would not be surprised if the civil version of marriage dissolves into adult contracts of mutual-self-care, set up so as to protect assets of the common financial estate from other people when one partner dies and to protect partners from each other when the arrangement dissolves.

Marriage the sacrament, OTOH, is not going anywhere.

[quote="EasterJoy, post:3, topic:220013"]

Marriage has become a way for people (currently only couples, but I expect that to change) who commit to a common sex and financial life to claim certain legal entitlements on account of it. There is little or nothing that the married couple is truly expected to give to society in return. I would not be surprised if the civil version of marriage dissolves into adult contracts of mutual-self-care, set up so as to protect assets of the common financial estate from other people when one partner dies and to protect partners from each other when the arrangement dissolves.

Marriage the sacrament, OTOH, is not going anywhere.

[/quote]

my feelings exactly

More and more people seem to be afraid of or dinterested in commitment.

Others see it in such a way that if you aren't sufficiently gloomy and pained about it, and thus given to such childishness as expecting some romance in a relationship, then you haven't grown up enough.

Getting a bit anti-social, this generation.

Marriage is a Sacrament. By definition it's an "outward and visible sign of an inward and invisible reality, **instituted by Christ **to give grace". Christ is God. God is timeless. Marriage is part of his grand plan for humanity. Therefore, no-marriage can never become obsolete. Human reaction to God is changing. God is never changing. Marriage between man and woman was, is and forever shall be valid. God's law is not subject to personal opinion as to whether it's valid or not.

I don’t think this is a problem that is unique to this generation. It seems to be a problem that spans every generation, every age group. Growing up, I never had friends who’s parents were divorced. Now, in my forties, every day I hear about another couple my age or older that is getting a divorce and one or both of the couples has already moved in with a new mate. I hear more about younger couples getting married than I do any other age group lately.

[quote="PatriceA, post:7, topic:220013"]
I don't think this is a problem that is unique to this generation. It seems to be a problem that spans every generation, every age group. Growing up, I never had friends who's parents were divorced. Now, in my forties, every day I hear about another couple my age or older that is getting a divorce and one or both of the couples has already moved in with a new mate. I hear more about younger couples getting married than I do any other age group lately.

[/quote]

True. It seems I was being jaded due to my own experience.

As a newlywed myself, I’d love to tattoo this statement on the forehead of anyone considering marriage:

Marry only your best friend.

Like fashion, shows, movies, and other transients, people today take too many things too transparently or lightly. They rely on anecdotal authorities or cite bad examples while ignoring the good of marriages properly created. Worse, they rely only on themselves and their personal impulses in such decisions.

It’s strange to see the general populace grow more skeptical about the need for marriage while watching a group that cannot qualify to accept the sacrament–those with same-sex attractions–seek to attain it so strongly, although generally for reasons of acceptance or self-identity.

As with our Catholic faith–aw heck, Christian teaching as a whole–many of us are poorly taught or are too headstrong to accept what is taught of the nature of marriage. Took me one extra turn through it myself to learn what was required and whether it was truly a vocation God called me to do.

**99% of the people who lived in Jesus' day wanted Him Crucified!

Does that make them correct?

The more you are rejected by society, the closer to the Truth you are!!!!!!!!**

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[quote="Spencerian, post:9, topic:220013"]
As a newlywed myself, I'd love to tattoo this statement on the forehead of anyone considering marriage:

Marry only your best friend.

Like fashion, shows, movies, and other transients, people today take too many things too transparently or lightly. They rely on anecdotal authorities or cite bad examples while ignoring the good of marriages properly created. Worse, they rely only on themselves and their personal impulses in such decisions.

It's strange to see the general populace grow more skeptical about the need for marriage while watching a group that cannot qualify to accept the sacrament--those with same-sex attractions--seek to attain it so strongly, although generally for reasons of acceptance or self-identity.

As with our Catholic faith--aw heck, Christian teaching as a whole--many of us are poorly taught or are too headstrong to accept what is taught of the nature of marriage. Took me one extra turn through it myself to learn what was required and whether it was truly a vocation God called me to do.

[/quote]

Congrats on your marriage.

Even with what has happenned to me - I still believe. My anniversary date is 12/6/08. I still believe - so it is the Feast of St Nick so as I kiddingly tell my friends when they ask me if I will ever get married instead of going through the whole discertation on annulment, etc - is Yes, Joan there is a St. Nick. (who by the way is also a patron Saint of Marriage.)

Thats like saying 'are gods teachings obsolete'.

As much as todays society would seem to like that, no, its not the case. God and what he says lasts forever.

Is marriage obsolete?

Not at my house. 11 years this July! :)

Marriage is obsolete if you dont believe in God or are a radical feminist. What need does one of those have for marriage? I know if I was an atheist, I would never get married. There is no purpose to marriage unless you are raising children for a common religious goal. If there is no God, eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you will die.

My generation is a poor example for children to follow. Many have become victims of divorce and are fearful. We have let them down.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.