Is Mary the queen of heaven?

Do Catholic believe her to be queen of heaven?

BB

She is “queen” in the sense that she fulfills the type of the Davidic queen-mother. As Christ sits on the everlasting throne of David, we see in Mary a relationship like Solomon, for instance, had with his own queen-mother. She is not a queen in the sense that she is on equal footing to our king of Heaven. Given that you list your religious affiliation as “Hebrew”, you are probably familiar enough with the Davidic Kingdom to know how important of a role the queen-mother had as an intercessor and counselor to the people. As the Old Testament is a foreshadowing of the New, we can understand, through that, Mary’s role in Christ’s kingdom.

Yes, we do. Look at Revelations 12. It kind of looks that way to me, based on the imagery, though some may disagree.

Wouldn’t that be a requisite?

To be the mother of a king, she must be a queen.

Possibly repeating a previous post, but it works for me.

Z

As an Orthodox Catholic I say yes.

[quote=awfulthings9]She is “queen” in the sense that she fulfills the type of the Davidic queen-mother. As Christ sits on the everlasting throne of David, we see in Mary a relationship like Solomon, for instance, had with his own queen-mother. She is not a queen in the sense that she is on equal footing to our king of Heaven. Given that you list your religious affiliation as “Hebrew”, you are probably familiar enough with the Davidic Kingdom to know how important of a role the queen-mother had as an intercessor and counselor to the people. As the Old Testament is a foreshadowing of the New, we can understand, through that, Mary’s role in Christ’s kingdom.
[/quote]

Good post. I think I heard a talk on this by Scot Hahn. I agree that Mary is the queen mother. And as such, historically, the queen mother has always exerted influence on the court. And so it is with Mary, who intercedes for us.

He’s a member of “The House of Yahweh”, an anti-Catholic/anti-Christian cult. Look Here..
Pax vobiscum,

i’m not sure she is.
i haven’t really found anything in the bible saying that Mary is the queen of heaven or she ascended into heaven instead of dying either

2 timothy 3:16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

[quote=BillyBayou613]Do Catholic believe her to be queen of heaven?

BB
[/quote]

Jawohl! :thumbsup: We do :slight_smile: :o

[quote=BennyD]i’m not sure she is.
i haven’t really found anything in the bible saying that Mary is the queen of heaven or she ascended into heaven instead of dying either

[/quote]

No one says Mary “ascended into heaven”. Only Jesus did that. Mary was “assumed into heaven” by her Son.

[quote=BennyD] i’m not sure she is.
[/quote]

Read Revelations 12 and think about what Gospel figure most closely matches the description of the woman, and how she is described. Some may disagree with me as to this woman’s identity, but it seems clear to me.

Mary was a perpetual virgin and she was assumed, body and soul, into heaven shortly after her death. Don’t just take my work on this, it is stated in the following…( Matt. 1:24,25; 13:54-56; Mk. 6:3; Jn. 7:5), (doctrine of the “Assumption of the Virgin Mary,” declared by Pope Pius XII in 1950).

Therefore, the only answer can be yes she is the Queen Of Heaven.

I am double checking my references…I’m not sure if the chapters and verses I quoted are right. If not I will correct them soon.

5th Decade of the Glorious Mysteries of the Holy Rosary: The Ordination of Mary, Queen of Heaven.
Yep - she is.

Absolutely.

She is Queen Mother as Solomon’s mother was, but her King’s Kingdom is all of Heaven and Earth, so she is Queen of Heaven and Earth.

Jesus obeys the ten commandments perfectly and the fourth requires him to honor His mother. Making her Queen of Heaven is part of His honoring her perfectly.

Yes. Mary is Queen of Heaven. The dogma declares that at the end of her mortal life she was assumed into heaven. Catholics are free to speculate on whether she experienced earthly death before her assumption. Eastern Catholics speak of the dormition of Mary, which seems to imply her earthly death, followed by her assumption. Again, this aspect of the assumption has not been dogmatically defined. However, it is recognized by all Catholics that Mary is Queen of Heaven - and that her queenship derives entirely from the Kingship of her Son, Jesus Christ. This does not mean that Mary is believed by Catholics to be divine, nor do we worship her because of her Queenship any more than the English worship their Queen Elizabeth II.

This may help clarify the position, from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**Wholly united with her Son . . . **

964 Mary’s role in the Church is inseparable from her union with Christ and flows directly from it. “This union of the mother with the Son in the work of salvation is made manifest from the time of Christ’s virginal conception up to his death”;504 it is made manifest above all at the hour of his Passion:

Thus the Blessed Virgin advanced in her pilgrimage of faith, and faithfully persevered in her union with her Son unto the cross. There she stood, in keeping with the divine plan, enduring with her only begotten Son the intensity of his suffering, joining herself with his sacrifice in her mother’s heart, and lovingly consenting to the immolation of this victim, born of her: to be given, by the same Christ Jesus dying on the cross, as a mother to his disciple, with these words: "Woman, behold your son."505
965 After her Son’s Ascension, Mary "aided the beginnings of the Church by her prayers."506 In her association with the apostles and several women, "we also see Mary by her prayers imploring the gift of the Spirit, who had already overshadowed her in the Annunciation."507

**. . . also in her Assumption **

966 "Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death."508 The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son’s Resurrection and an anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians:

In giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death.509

504 LG 57.
505 LG 58; cf. Jn 19:26-27.
506 LG 69.
507 LG 59.
508 LG 59; cf. Pius XII, Munificentissimus Deus (1950):DS 3903; cf. Rev 19:16.
509 Byzantine Liturgy, Troparion, Feast of the Dormition, August 15th.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]Absolutely.

She is Queen Mother as Solomon’s mother was, but her King’s Kingdom is all of Heaven and Earth, so she is Queen of Heaven and Earth.

Jesus obeys the ten commandments perfectly and the fourth requires him to honor His mother. Making her Queen of Heaven is part of His honoring her perfectly.
[/quote]

Great post…I knew of the Queen Mother Archetype, but never thought about how that would perfectly fulfill the Fourth Commandment. Thank you for the little bit of insight (I need all that I can get.)

[quote=swnunley]Read Revelations 12 and think about what Gospel figure most closely matches the description of the woman, and how she is described. Some may disagree with me as to this woman’s identity, but it seems clear to me.
[/quote]

With the fact that the “portent” is wearing a crown, this points to some type of regal function or status. Who wears crowns? Surely not some lowly character…

This portent, who gave birth to the Savior, is not a future event. I believe that only those who do not believe in the Virgin Mary’s importance in Christianity point out that the “portent” is Israel or the Church. But honestly, this is because they dig for deeper meaning to avoid the importance of the Blessed Virgin. If evil cannot defeat her and turns his attention to her offspring, this very much indicates that the Virgin IS held from sin. Is it Israel? I’d say that it’s pretty much a useless claim, considering that Israel was sinful. Is it the Church? Well, considering that the Church is an earthly institution and even though it was established by Christ himself, it still contains the element of human leadership which contains sin. Weeds in in the wheat - so-to-speak. What has been taught by the Church for all these years and believed until splinterings of protestants away from the original “reformers”? That the Blessed Mother, ever Virgin is sinless and the Queen of Heaver. Remember, not even the original reformers would’ve claimed she wasn’t. It wasn’t until nut jobs broke even further away from the them that ridiculous doctrine such as these came to being.

Is the Virgin the Queen of Heaven? Dang right she is! Is she the Mother of God? Dang right she is! Is the idea of her NOT being such new? Dang right! She is the mother because she gave birth to the Savior. She is not older, nor did she come before Him. She is the simple earthly being that was created by Him to give birth to Him. All generations shall call me blessed, she exclaimed and He holds her dear and in deep to this day with honor. Why would God break his own commandment, “Honor thy Mother and Father”?

BB
[/quote]

I thought they were like the only ones. They address her as queen of heaven in the rosary, so I would say yes.

[quote=BennyD]i’m not sure she is.
[/quote]

Since Jesus now rules as King of the New and Everlasting Dividic Kingdom that makes Mary the Queen. The mother of the king in the line of David is always the Queen Mother.

BB
[/quote]

While the title of Mary as Queen of Heaven has been believed for centuries and is celebrated by the Church, it is not a doctrine of the Church. It may be declared so someday, however. This does not mean that the Church will invent some new teaching but rather confirm one long held–there’s a big difference between these two concepts. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.