Is Mary's Assumption Irrelevant?

Came across this article on the web. I would like some feedback on this issue about Mary. Any input would be appreciated…

Assumption ---- Irrelevant vs Irreverent

Any action taken by God cannot ever be considered irrelevant. The fact that God assumed Mary into Heaven is a significant piece of the faith and its importance must not be watered down. Mary is our Mother, and our Queen, and God gave us Mary for both roles. God emphasized Mary’s importance by taking her into Heaven after her life was completed.

Mary’s role in salvation’s history must not be forgotten, rather Mary and her divinely given roles should be embraced.

Mary’s Assumption into heaven is vastly important as Mary was one of us, a human being, and now exists in heaven as we are promised we will exist there body and soul after the Last Judgement. She is not only the fulfilled promise of eternal life but is the prime example of how we as humans can live in God’s will.

I think the answer to this quesiton is yes, is Mary the only person who has been assumed into heaven body and soul?

[quote=awalt]I think the answer to this quesiton is yes, is Mary the only person who has been assumed into heaven body and soul?
[/quote]

Was not Elijah also “assumed” into heaven as well?
[size=3][/size]
2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, which parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

[quote=jburgherr]Was not Elijah also “assumed” into heaven as well?
[size=3][/size]
2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, which parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

[/quote]

Also Enoch. “Then Enoch walked with God, and he was no longer here, for God took him.” GN 5:24. Everybody else’s little capsule biography says they “died” except this one.

I would tend to agree. There is no evidence he died - thus assumption is in the OLD Covenant and the New. That in the old shall be revealed in the NEW. And then again your then again your thread makes me want to sing “Climbing Jacob’s Ladder”. sing out loud…I’m sorry this was a song taught in Sunday school are catholic children taught this song?

[quote=betrublu2Him]Came across this article
[/quote]

on the web. I would like some feedback on this issue about Mary. Any input would be appreciated…

Assumption ---- Irrelevant vs IrreverentI have to wonder if you read the article all the way through. It’s written from a Catholic perspective and actaully expounds the dogma of the Assumption very well.

Note this:

Mark Brumley is the managing editor of Catholic Faith magazine. This article was taken from the May-June 1996 issue of Catholic Dossier.

Here is a thread on this topic that I opened with some of my own thinking a while back.

As with all things that we read …context is everything.
Pax tecum,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.