Is medically necessary contraception a sin?

I am a married woman and my doctor has advised me to use contraception in order to heal my endometriosis. If it’s medically neccessary is it still a sin?

In this case, you are not “using contraception”; you are taking a particular medicine prescribed for endometriosis, which has the side effect of rendering you temporarily sterile. Taking this medication for the purpose of treating endometriosis is not wrong. It would only become morally problematic if you were taking the medication for the purpose of temporary sterilization.

For questions on matters concerning medical bioethics, in general, I recommend contacting the National Catholic Bioethics Center; for questions concerning medical bioethics in the realm of women’s health care issues in particular, I recommend contacting the Pope Paul VI Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.