Is Michael Richards Catholic?

On another thread, Saint Michael posted the following:

That is scary because I was in Bella’s debate yesterday trying to find Richard’s religon, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I read that Wiki ten times, there was nothing, now today it is updated to say he was raised Catholic? WOW very very odd to say the least. Someone made a point to say he’s Catholic after this episode.

I took a look at the Wiki page myself and I noticed that the reference to him being Catholic is given from the following source:

According to sources familiar with Richards, the actor was raised Catholic. A biography of him on the Wikipedia web site lists no religion, but does say Richards is very involved in the Masons.

This doesn’t sound like a very reliable source to me…

It is odd. I’ve heard one or two people say he was catholic. Most people here and across the web think he’s Jewish. It gets further complicated by the fact that he has been involved in some Jewish indie films and I think was involved with the King Davids of Comedy at the Hollywood Improv.

The only thing that is for sure is that he was a Freemason which he joined because his idol Red Skeleton was one.

He is a high ranking member in the Scottish Masons.

Yes the talk page at Wiki states that it is a bit strange that he would be Catholic and a Mason.

The New York Times says he is from a Jewish background.

The New York Times says a lot of things. :thumbsup:

It’s not inconceivable that Michael Richards doesn’t really exist.:smiley:

Honestly what does his statement have to do with Catholicism? I think he is jewish. What does his statement have to with Judaism?

Well it could be possible that his race is Jewish, was raised Catholic and then became a Freemason… very possible. So that would mean… “all of the above.” :stuck_out_tongue:

wikipedia updated the article yesterday based on the article that appeared in the Los Angeles Jewish Times (I think that’s what its called),

(Judaism is not a race). It could be possible that he was born jewsh and raised catholic, became a freemason, dated a Hindu, worked for a Buddahist, and was always a racist.

that his race is Jewish, was raised Catholic and then became a Freemason… very possible. So that would mean… “all of the above.” :stuck_out_tongue: (Judaism is not a race). It could be possible that he was born jewsh and raised catholic, became a freemason, dated a Hindu, worked for a Buddahist, and was always a racist.
[/quote]

There, is that big enough for you. :smiley: Do you see the word “Judaism” in my post? No. I didn’t say that. I said that it could be possible that “his race is Jewish” not Judaism.

Why don’t people ever seem to read my posts? :whacky:

Jewish is not a race, either :stuck_out_tongue:
(if that’s what you meant) :slight_smile:

I did read your posts. Neither Judaism or Jewish is a race. There really isn’t a Jewish race. That’s a term that was originally adopted by anti-semites, like Hitler. As a way of attributing Jewish “traits” as something genetic/racial. I know that isn’t how you intended to imply, but it is a reason why some Jews take exception to being called a race.

My race is white/hispanic. I am Jewish because me religion and culture is Judaism.

Well, wikipedia is not the most reliable sourse on the earth…
I am sure of one thing. I didn’t like that he tried to say in his apology that he’s not a racist. The first thing that came into his head when he went on his diatribe was lynching. I think he needs to take a serious look at himself and wonder why that’s the first thing that came into his head. My mom says, “What’s said when drunk, has been thought out before.”

You have a wise mom :thumbsup:

:rotfl: This one get’s my vote.

HIs PR firm is saying he’s jewish.

Valke2,
Even if he isn’t practicing his Jewish faith, would he still be considered Jewish if his mother was Jewish?? That is my understanding… if a person’s has a Jewish mother, they are Jewish - but not so if their mother is a Gentile even if their father is Jewish.

Not sure where I heard that… please correct me if I am wrong.

jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm

Basically. But if he converted to Cathoclism or any other religion, he would essentially be cut off from Judaism. You can’t officially convert out of Judiasm but if you do you are viewed as renunciating Judaism, and would obviously be an apostate. He’s also be considered an idolater and, according to halacha, would not have a share in the world to come. Which is pretty harsh considering that we believe that a christian who did not convert from Judaism could have a share in the world to come.

And, while techinically still a Jew, a convert forfeits their legal and social rights under judaism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.