Is Michael Voris right about hell?

Check out this video and let me know what you think.

He pretty much sums it up succinctly.

What part are you wondering about, specifically?

Just watched the video. Everything he said was true. I like this guy, he doesn’t sugar coat.

I think he fancies himself quite a bit the way he swaggers and swivels, lording it over his audience. I also think he’s completely wrong about hell. No just and merciful God would condemn anyone to eternal suffering. I believe we will either be forgiven and end up in heaven, or simply cease to exist and know nothing further.

catholic.com/tracts/the-hell-there-is

Hell is a reality. It is not only a spiritual reality but it is also a physical reality. Father Fortea explains it like this:

Heaven, hell, and purgatory exist now only as states of being. At the resurrection at the Last Judgment, the souls of the dead will be reunited with their bodies and will then exist in a concrete place (CCC 650, 1005). At that point, the blessed will occupy a “physical heaven” (that is, a physical place of everlasting happiness), and the condemned will occupy a “physical hell.” As Revelation 21:1 states, “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth.” After the general judgment, then, the blessed - souls reunited with their resurrected bodies - will dwell in the “new heaven and a new earth” for eternity. Where will condemned humans dwell? We do not know for sure. Some have speculated that the “physical hell” of the damned will exist in the center of this same world.

As pure spirits, angels and demons exist outside of earthly, material time. However, they do experience a type of “spiritual” time - “a before and an after” to their acts of understanding and will. Whenever we speak of “before” and “after,” we are speaking of some sort of time. This time is called aeveternal (from the Latin aevum), a succession of acts of understanding and will in a spiritual being. (St. Thomas Aquinas in the thirteenth century speaks about aevum in the Summa Theologica, I, 10, 5.)

Therefore, when we say that the spirits in heaven and hell are in “eternity,” we need to understand this as an unending temporal succession (i.e., the passing of time without end) from a distinct beginning (i.e., the moment of their creation). Strictly speaking, only God is eternal; only He has “no time.” God experiences past, present, and future as eternally present.

In the world of demons, like that of people, some do one thing and others do different things. Demons, of course, cannot build houses, grow food, construct machines, nor do any of the things human beings spend so much time on. Most of the time, demons occupy themselves with going deeper into the world of knowledge, in having relationships among themselves, and in tempting people.

The intellectual world is such a vast world that the demons occupy themselves in it completely like us. In a university, for example, there can be hundreds of professors with each one specializing in some branch of knowledge. Hundreds of professors and deans work hours daily in a university and all this work and activity produces just one thing: knowledge. The same thing happens in the world of the angelic spirits.

Relationships among pure spirits may not seem important, but the demons have real, complex social relationships. These relationships are not based merely on knowledge but also on the pleasure of communicating with one another and helping each other tempt humans.

I agree that Voris’s style is a little aggressive, but that is because he is confident of the truth of his message.

A more saintly man, Padre Pio, may be a better witness to Hell. He was a renowned confessor who was given the gift of seeing into the hearts of penitents. He would hear their confessions and then tell them the sins they forgot to mention - I mean specific sins with private detail that no person could have known. He was given the gift of bill cation (being able to be present in two places at one time). He was a holy man who bore the wounds of Christ. He converted many souls to Christ.

One day, when he was hearing confessions for hours on end as usual, a man came into the confessional and sat down. Padre Pio asked him to confess his sins, and the man said no. He said that he didn’t believe in confession, sin, the devil ,or even Hell. Padre Pio looked into the mans eyes and said, “You will believe in Hell…when you get there.”

Another witness of Hell was the three shepherd children in Fatima. Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta were given a brief vision of Hell by the Blessed Virgin Mary, and that one horrific moment moved them to offer up huge penance a for the rest of their lives in reparation for the sins of people still on earth, that God’s grace may lead such souls to repentance.

Refusing to believe in eternal punishment (either saying that God wouldn’t do such a thing even though Christ himself speaks of eternal damnation, or saying that nothing awaits us after death) is a false comfort that we know, deep down, is not true. Rather than change our lives and accept God’s grace, we persist in our errors and walk down the wide path to eternal loss. The worst part is, when we face our own condemnation, we will see that we have chosen it ourselves by our own refusal to follow Christ.

Jesus uses the word destruction. If something is destroyed, it no longer exists. I don’t believe a merciful God would allow any creature He made to suffer eternally. That’s why I think it’s heaven, or destruction, as Jesus said.

Windmill, I believe you mean Bilocation*. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know about Padre Pio from the nuns and my mother. I looked into his life as a young girl and to be perfectly honest I don’t believe the claims made. I also don’t believe the visions of the girls at Fatima. I don’t believe in any miracles or any of the claims made on the part of the saints of the church. I remember as a child being extremely dubious about all these visions, and I remember the enormous relief I felt as a child when I was told I wasn’t obliged to believe any of them as a Catholic, because I didn’t, even as a young child.

Your beliefs are contrary to not only Catholic Doctrine, but what is written in the Bible. There are several graphic references to hell by Christ himself! And, I do not want to seem uncharitable, but you are deluding yourself by believing that eternal suffering does not await those who die in a state of mortal sin…
I strongly suggest that you make an appointment to see a priest to discuss this matter with him as soon as possible.

I’ve looked into this in the past, and I’ve also discussed it with the man who was at the time my parish priest. He stopped short of agreeing with me, but left me with the clear impression he was also doubtful about the existence of hell. He was much more forceful in telling me I was sinning by enjoying lesbian sex and my attraction to women while not itself a sin, shouldn’t be acted on. I think it’s significant the Catholic church proclaims men and women to be saints in heaven but never once ever proclaimed anyone to be in hell.

In Matthew 25:46, it speaks of eternal punishment. It doesn’t speak of eternal pain, other than the eternal pain of separation. There is the analogy in Matthew 25 with the parable of the Ten Virgins … “Master, open the door for us.” But, he answered “I do not know you.” … and the parable of the Silver Pieces … “Throw this worthless servant into the darkness outside, where he can wail and grind his teeth.” … and the Last Judgement criteria … “Out of my site, you condemned, into that everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.” In the first two, it is simply the lesson of the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil where Adam & Eve learn that the penalty for disobedience is separation from God and the knowledge of what you lost. The Last Judgement account does indeed talk about eternal fire, but it doesn’t talk about how long one feels the physical pain of the eternal fire. When one thinks of fire, one thinks of excruciating pain. Yet at some point, the pain of fire must abate as the nerves are consumed. I have this notion that we do pay for our sins with physical excruciating pain until all the pain & anguish that we actively or passively allowed others to experience is paid. But that has to be finite. Yet, the pain of separation that God feels in the loss of loved one must be returned in kind to the condemned sinner. In my life, I know the feeling of a family member who chooses to separate themselves from the family’s friendship, and the pain is acute but abates, although never lost. That is, the pain of separation is like an occasional throbbing pain, tolerable but always deeply painful when thoughts turn to what is lost. Then again, I think of the concept of Jesus as the bridegroom and the Church Faithful as the bride, and all others as those who were engaged to Jesus during their earthly life but in the final judgement were not acceptable to the prospective bridegroom.

I think that Michael Voris’ hair is a sin.

Hell is a testament to free will.

God will never force Himself on someone. If an individual makes to the choice to be without God than he/she will spend eternity without God, the source of all goodness. Once a person dies he/she has left time and cannot repent. There is no going back.

My parish priest told me however there could be a period of grace shortly after death, but he told me it was his speculation.

True, you are not obligated to believe in the visions. However, you are obligated to believe in hell. It seems like we have a case of “Cafeteria Catholic” going on here…

God is perfectly loving, perfectly merciful and also perfectly just.

Americans Think Hell Exists,
But No One Goes There

I agree, but watch out- the “Vorisites” will be after you for calumny against him :smiley:

Its true. He says the same thing that the saints have said about hell. To me it seems like nothing he says goes against scripture

:smiley: Sure looks like hell. LOL.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.