Is missing Mass a sin if there is a blizzard?

We have 15 inches of snow and still coming down, and the roads are not plowed near my house. I hate to miss Mass just days before Christmas, but is this a sin? I am worried that I wont be able to receive the Eucharist on Christmas because my family will miss Mass today.

You are not obligated to go to Mass if doing so would endanger yourself or others.

My parish actually canceled Masses this weekend.

Here in MD, on the news there was a trailer saying that the diocese reminds Catholics they can miss Mass due to severe weather.

It was kind of funny seeing all the different churches listing their cancelled services, then seeing a message from the diocese!

I asked this yesterday on another area here and if you’re snowed in you’re ok. We got about two feet here and they haven’t even tried to clear the streets in our neighborhood. I’m hopeful that I may be able to get to the 6pm Mass tonight. Teach CCD on Sunday morning and that’s cancelled (for obvious reasons). The deacon’s wife told me between the 4:30 and 6:00 Masses last night they had 75 people turn out. I usually go to the 4:30 Mass and it’s always packed.

It seems to me that many on this forum need to go do some homework on what sin is.
Simply Google Catholic Catechism and start learning.

The catechism says Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."

The catechism also tells us that ***Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. Thus has moral evil, incommensurably more harmful than physical evil, entered the world. God is in no way, directly or indirectly, the cause of moral evil.176 He permits it, however, because he respects the freedom of his creatures and, mysteriously, knows how to derive good from it: ***

Furthermore it tells us that Sin is an act contrary to reason. It wounds man’s nature and injures human solidarity. The root of all sins lies in man’s heart. The kinds and the gravity of sins are determined principally by their objects. To choose deliberately - that is, both knowing it and willing it - something gravely contrary to the divine law and to the ultimate end of man is to commit a mortal sin. This destroys in us the charity without which eternal beatitude is impossible. Unrepented, it brings eternal death. Venial sin constitutes a moral disorder that is reparable by charity, which it allows to subsist in us. The repetition of sins - even venial ones - engenders vices, among which are the capital sins.

Surely you know whether you are not going to Mass because you are being slothful, or not going because you are not able to. Snow storms preventing you from attending, a sinner does not you make!

It is what’s in your heart that counts. :thumbsup:

Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in DC....totally fine, after all its a state of emergency.
Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in New Jersy....questionable but probably o.k., the plows can't keep up.
Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in Maine...just plain lazy :cool:

mkipp…even if you’re in the southern tier of MA the snow didn’t start until the early AM. They’ve predicted this storm. You should of gone last night unless you had a real reason not to. (and I don’t mean a christmas party).

So, I’d say that yes, in a way you sinned. This storm is NOT a surprize. They KNEW the storm would start after midnight. Masses are offered on Saturday. It would of been safe then…again unless you have a really good reason or really just didn’t think you did sin.

[quote="purplesunshine, post:6, topic:180371"]
Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in DC....totally fine, after all its a state of emergency.
Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in New Jersy....questionable but probably o.k., the plows can't keep up.
Missing mass for 2 feet of snow in Maine...just plain lazy :cool:

[/quote]

Ha ha. Virginia (in the DC area) says they aren't going to finish getting to plowing the sidestreets until Wednesday night.

:thumbsup:

Well, we got away from not eating meat on Friday and we got away from most Holy Days of Obligation, and divorce/annulment, birth control and abortion [where are the bishops besides moderately worded press releases] and now Sunday Mass for a few snowflakes. At least the “Mainiacs” are keeping up.

You should see our street then! No matter how much we get, by 9am, it looks like thousands of little ants repairing their ant hill. :smiley: It’s funny seeing all the paths in the snow.

Plow trucks driving through, snow blowers blowing, people shoveling, kids playing around in the snow, neighbors telling jokes. The whole neighborhood gets out! Our neighbor even shoveled our sidewalk and steps yesterday just before the blizzard-like conditions came and again later in the evening.

It may look pretty, but I am sure it's dangerous. Please check on the elderly! I will keep all of you in my prayers when I attend mass this morning.

=mkipp;6074583]We have 15 inches of snow and still coming down, and the roads are not plowed near my house. I hate to miss Mass just days before Christmas, but is this a sin? I am worried that I wont be able to receive the Eucharist on Christmas because my family will miss Mass today.

***Not you’re fault = NO SIN! You’re good to go.:smiley:

If possible try to make it up with a daily Mass BUT NOT A REQUIREMENT! If nothing esle say the Rosary and mabe spend a few minutes in the Bible.

Love and prayers,

A Mortal sin must meet the requirements of

1. Serious Matter = this is

2. Knowledge that is a Mortal sin before doing it = you know

3. A FREEWILL DESIRE to do it anyway… YOUR INNOCENT!

Pat ***

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. We don’t fast from midnight anymore, either.

Maybe we should bring these practices back.

[Latin Mass! ]

You are permitted to miss Mass on the occassion that for reasons beyond your ability i.e. weather, illness, travel you are unable to attend; however that does not remove the obligation to worship the Lord during the Sabbath.
Therefore, stay home if you must, but spent 1 hour with the Lord in prayer and meditation through the rosary, the bible, reading the gospel from the bible if you know the verse for that week. Singing hymns or whatever you would most like to do to express your love of God.
If you miss Mass and stay home and eat chips and watch the game all day, without taking time at home to still worship, then yes you are in violation of the commandment to keep Holy the Sabbath and to Love God.

My only question would be, could you have gone to an earlier mass if you knew the snow was coming?

For example, we have a Saturday mass at 5:00 pm. If on Saturday you saw the weather and knew it would be snowing on Sunday and it would be too bad to travel, but still neglected to go on Saturday, well…

But if you did not have full knowledge or complete consent about not going to mass, then it was not a mortal sin. I think I am still right to say that missing mass for any reason is a Venial Sin (am I right :confused: )

Go to Confession. Go to Mass during the week.

otherwise at your last judgement, the Judge (Jesus) will be tapping His pencil on the desk and saying things like: “you got some ‘splaining’ to do.”

If you live in MA how did you NOT know the snow was coming?

I did not go to Mass today, but took the time to watch it at 8AM live on EWTN. Actually a very good homily by Fr Wade. During the consecration (on my knees), I turn toward EWTN (Birmingham) South by South/West, and ask Jesus to bless me especially during the raising of the Blessed Sacrament and Precious Blood. During the distribution of the consecrated Host, I deeply pray the prayer that is recited by the Sister.

I don’t over-analyze it, but I think that God is pleased with my effort. And I feel grace-filled.
Thank God for the broadcast of Masses from EWTN for days where we CAN’T be at Mass.

No sin involved. When I read a couple (but not most) of these replies, I think of the jews in Jesus' time that lived by the letter of the law, not the spirit.

But the people who are likely to say “Oh, its a blizard I can’t go to Mass.” likely went grocery shopping on Saturday or changed a get-together or concert. That’s whats irratating. They are using the law (you don’t have to go if it’s a bilzzard) for their benefit.

Plus, the law of going to Mass is no where near a comparison of washing your hands or giving alms of the Mosaic law. I think 99% of the people in New England knew the storm was coming. NJ/DC and those areas got snow on Saturday preventing travel and likely won’t be able to go on Sunday, either. But MA didn’t get ANY snow until well after 11pm on Saturday. By noon on Saturday they knew the snow wasn’t going to start until very late.

This is more like the parable of the foolish and wise virgins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.