Is missing mass venial sin?

If missing mass because of other reasons apart from illness (such as busy for our own things, too tired… etc.), is it a venial sin?

(One time during confession, a priest told me that missing mass due to illness is not a sin and no need to confess about it.)

Sometimes after I missed mass because of other reasons (not illness), I hope I could confess before doing Holy Communion on the next mass, but sometimes there was no confession time before mass at some churches, so I will do Holy Communion without confessing about the missing mass.

Is it a venial sin or mortal sin? And what is the best way to solve this? pray and ask God for forgiveness and do Holy Communion? or should not do Holy Communion if not confess yet?

A planned missing of mass for “personal” reasons is telling God that you prefer your own life and worldly interests to Him. It also defies Jesus’ command to “Do this, as often as you do it, in remembrance of Me” - the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. To prefer yourself to God is not venial, it is mortal sin. Don’t fit God into your life, fit your life into God.

OP, one does not miss Sunday Mass because of inconvenience or because you’re busy doing something else or because you think you may be too tired or even if you’re a certain degree of ill. One can miss such a Mass because one has, more or less, a fairly grave reason to do so, or because one has been given a dispensation ahead of time.

Missing Mass on Sunday is far more serious than doing something like calling out of work. A lot of people feel comfortable occasionally missing a day or three simply because they don’t feel like working or because they’re tired or because they have the sniffles. But we can’t just ignore Mass like that. Rather, excusing one’s self from Mass should be done as a last resort, when there are true impediments to going.

We need to cultivate a desire to want to go to Mass, not to try to avoid it.

Is it an objective, grave sin to miss Sunday Mass for trivial reasons? Yeah. It’s disobedience. Whether it’s a mortal sin or not depends firstly on whether your reasons were trivial.

No it is a grave sin (mortal sin).

One is not to miss Mass on a Sunday or other days of Obligation (Holy Days) for just any reason -rather it must be a serious reason - for such is of the highest importance - the Eucharist is indeed the source and summit of the Christian life!

Catechism:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm#II

I very much recommend more reading on the matter - once one realizes the reality of what the Mass is and how important it is - one can then resist very quickly any temptation to miss Mass.

Read that whole section there linked (all about the Lords Day (Sunday) - a day of worship and rest…etc

More from Pope Benedict XVI w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis.html#The_eucharistic_form_of_the_christian_life

There was a group of early Christians who gathered to celebrate Sunday Mass (the Lords Day) - which was illegal. They were caught and put on trial - and the response of these martyrs as to why they went against the law was …“without the Lords Day (the Sunday Eucharist) it is not possible to live.”

As Catholics we have this sunday and feastday mass obligation no ifs and buts.
Well there are “buts” in any life lived and you cannot find a rule without an exception.

If you deliberatly deside to blow off mass then id say its closer to mortally sinful than if you oversleep, dont care to walk there in heavy rain if its a thirty minute walk for example.

Its killing the catholic joy when we start using all these legal terms for absolutely everything. Should one go to mass? Yes of course, is it sinful not to under the wrong circumstances? yes.
Is it something that may keep you from seeing paradise if its this one time very rarely, I dont think so.

Christ is judge, at the final day He will separate the goats from the sheeps not us. He decides and so I will be very careful not to step into his domain starting to Call out mortal sins in others.

catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/is-missing-mass-a-mortal-sin.html

Well that’s fine, but no case is similar to the next that’s why it’s so important with spiritual guidance and accompaniment.

It’s the same as with the communion for divorced and remarried case, these cases aren’t black or white. Each case should be met individually.
God bless the pope!

No, it’s mortal…

It can be.

You may quote catechism all day long if you like. I have a masters in theology from the university of Munich so I am familiar with it to some extent one might say.

It’s the hermeneutics that interest me…
How to apply the catechism with wisdom and put it into real life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.