Is monastic life possible for a divorced man?

I am a divorced but practising Catholic. My wife left me 5 years ago and is now married to another man. I am finding it difficult to live alone and have found myself wishing that I could live a monastic life. Is this possible for a divorced man?

I think it is unlikely that my marriage could be annuled although we had no children.

If a monastic life is not possible, what options are there for divorcees such as myself?

Hi,

Don’t be too sure about not being able to receive an annument. See a priest about it. As for monasticism, one has to have a vocation, i.e. one has to have a desire to give one self to the Lord in this way. It involves a lot more than merely seeking companionship. On the other hand, you may find that the Lord is in fact calling you to such a life. Such in entirely possible. Age limits vary from monastery to monastery and order to order. I will be praying for you. Write again if you need more information.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.