Is my confession invalid if I confess a venial sin only as a matter of course?

I went to confession and confessed a venial sin because I knew that confessing venial sins is a good practice. So when I was examining my conscience, I didn’t put much thought to it compared to the mortal sins I had to confess. Now I hadn’t given much thought about “stopping” the venial sin. There was no clear intent on my part to commit it again (I wasn’t thinking, “Oh I’ll do this again.”) At most, I was acknowledging that I might commit it again because I thought it was a “gray area” sort of sin that will be forgiven in communion. I just hadn’t made a “firm resolution” to not do it again. And I wasn’t even sure if it was really a venial sin or just an “imperfection” so I just confessed it anyway.

One of the requisites of a valid confession is to at least have imperfect contrition (or absence of intent to commit it again, I think?). So was my confession invalid?

You knew it was wrong. Check.
You were sorry for it. Check.
You confessed it. Check.
You were absolved by the priest. Check.

Don’t overthink it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.