Is my confession still valid even though I didn't say the Act of Contrition?

I just forgot to say the Act of Contrition during confession. I forgot to confess a sin and was trying to tell the priest while he was talking, but didn’t get a chance. I was probably too busy thinking about confessing this sin that the Act of Contrition just slipped my mind and the priest just went straight into the absolution.

Is it still valid and should I say it now? It’s been two hours since I confessed. I usually don’t forget. We all make mistakes, right?

Say it now. You were sorry. That shows because you were going to confession. Your sins are forgiven even if you didn’t say it later.

Your confession is completely valid. There are some priests who skip the act of contrition altogether (which they really shouldn’t do…), but I believe they expect the person to just say it when their confession is over.

I would personally believe that your confession would still be valid by intent despite the omission of a crucial element of the sacrament, but I strongly recommend to approach a priest at your next confession and inquire about this. This is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Their pastoral judgement is what is key. If the priest asks you to re-do your confession, then by all means obey him. This is a matter best left to the discretion of the ordained, not the internet brigade. :slight_smile:

The act of contrition isn’t a crucial element of the Sacrament, in that its absence could actually invalidate the sacrament. Lack of contrition would invalidate the sacrament, and praying an act of contrition is but one way of showing contrition. Not having the act of contrition does not constitute lack of form.

I said it is crucial. What you’re suggesting is that I said that it is essential. Praying the Act of Contrition out loud is not essential to the Sacrament in that the lack of it would make it invalid, but it is nonetheless extremely important - as you said - as a means of showing contrition. In fact, if I really thought that it was essential, why would I have expressed my opinion that his confession was still valid? :slight_smile:

But ‘crucial’ means ‘essential’.

please :shrug:

back to the question in hand and take your differences to your private mailings… I or other readers no real wish to read you battling semantics out whilst it don’t answer the first question so tired of point scoring posts…:(:thumbsup:

peace
xxx

The essential form of absolution is as such:
P: I absolve you of your sins in the Name of the Father+ and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.*

As long as a validly ordained priest intentionally invokes absolution with the Trinitarian formula, absolution occurs.

Now you’re trying to bash me over the head with the dictionary. Yes, it is, and I apologise for the misuse of the word, but by the phrasing of my post (and the fact that I contrasted it against the use of the word ‘essential’), wouldn’t a person as learned in the English language as you have picked up the hint that I did not intend it to mean ‘essential’ but rather ‘very important’? Anyway, we’re just splitting hairs over my indiscretions. Let’s not dwell on this. :slight_smile:

Being contrite is essential to the sacrament, but the Church does not require us to say a particular act of contrition. In my experience - in various dioceses - only half of priests ask you to make an act of contrition. It is no where mandated by the Church. It is solely at the discretion of the priest.

[quote="twf, post:11, topic:308403"]
Being contrite is essential to the sacrament, but the Church does not require us to say a particular act of contrition. In my experience - in various dioceses - only half of priests ask you to make an act of contrition. It is no where mandated by the Church. It is solely at the discretion of the priest.

[/quote]

Well, technically, it is supposed to be done, but it can be dispensed with for good cause. Keep in mind that beginning with a reading from scripture is also supposed to be done, but rarely is.

Also keep in mind that the Act of Contrition is really an Act of Contrition. There are many formulas for an Act of Contrition including the simple "Jesus, be merciful to me, a sinner." There, done. Also, an Act of Contrition may be put into one's own words and not use any traditional formula.

Actually, I wonder why the introduction, "Father, forgive me for I have sinned," isn't in itself a proper Act of Contrition if it can be expressed so simply or in one's own words without having to follow a prescribed formula.

Your confession is absolutely vaild. If the Priest does not have you say it during Confession, you simply say it in your prayers after (or as soon as you remember).

[quote="Anthony_V, post:9, topic:308403"]
The essential form of absolution is as such:
P: I absolve you of your sins in the Name of the Father+ and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.*

As long as a validly ordained priest intentionally invokes absolution with the Trinitarian formula, absolution occurs.

[/quote]

If the penitent is contrite. No one can be absolved of a sin that they do not have contrition for, even if it is only imperfect contrition, out of fear of hell.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.