Is my dispensation invalid?

Hello, all. I just had a quick question concerning dispensations from private vows. I recently conferred with my pastor, who granted me a dispensation from some private vows I had made.

I think it was solid, but there waere some things that bothered me. When he granted the dispensation, he mentioned his reasons. He first of all said that I hadn’t invoked God to bear witness to it. (This reason really bothered me, actually, so I made certain to correct him immediately on this fact. I did, in fact, invoke God.) Another reason he mentioned was that there was no witness to the vow. (I’ve done quite a bit of research, and I know there doesn’t need to be a witness to a private vow.)

Long story short, his reasoning was a bit off-kilter. I don’t know if that affects the validity of my dispensation because I know one has to be dispensed for a just cause.

Finally, I should mention that I tend to think things over too much as a scrupulous person. Perhaps it would be in my best interests simply to put this matter to rest. I could be falling into the trap of thinking I know more than a minister of the church. God may be telling me to move on, but I’m trying to find every reason to stay stuck. I just figured I should ask instead of wondering my whole life.

Obey your confessor. Don’t second guess him.
Read this:

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

Paying close attention to # 8 & 9.

You are correct about the witness part. However a wrong impression (taken from knowledge of other vows) among his reasons does not mean it was an invalid dispensation. One wrong impression does not need to make the dispensation invalid.

I am not so sure that he was giving you his reasons there - but rather beginning to state to you his “reasons” that it that he thought the vows where invalid.Not his reasons for dispensation as much. The fact that he had some apparent misunderstandings does not mean that the dispensation was invalid.

He is your pastor and can dispense you for any number of just reasons. Reasons he may not have stated in giving you the dispensation.

It is likely his reasons for giving the dispensation were such as the vows are giving you some difficulty or some other reasons…

You can simply tell him of your concern - he will understand that you have scruples…

A just reason there means that it is not an evil reason.

The fact of your scruples alone can be a just reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.