Is my husband a Catholic?

My husband and I have been married for almost 27 years. We married in the Church, have three children who were all raised in the Church and live our lives deeply in Christ and His Church.

I was a poorly formed Catholic when we met, so when we began to attend Mass together, I didn’t realize he shouldn’t receive Communion, etc. Then we married, had babies, and I was happy that he was so supportive of my growing faith and understanding, of raising our family in the Church, and committed to his personal embrace of Catholicism. He became a man of deep faith.

My husband was baptized in a Protestant church as a child. He fully assented to the credal teachings of the Catholic Church for all these years. He considers himself to be a Catholic - is he?

Thanks.

Hi,

What you described is a Protestant who believes what the Catholic Church teaches, but is not yet a Catholic. God definitely has His hand on him. But in order to be a Catholic, he must BECOME a Catholic. This is accomplished by learning what a Catholic must know about the Church’s teachings AND making a public profession of faith. See you pastor. Perhaps he can quiz your husband on his knowledge of the faith and then receive his profession of faith. I said perhaps! He may need to go through the RCIA. We will be praying for him.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.