Is my marriage valid?

When me and my wife were married in the Catholic church the priest asked if I was babtized (since I was a Protestant). I had always been under the impresion that I had been babtized as a child. I have been married for almost 12 years now. After futher research it turns out that I most likely was not babtized. I am now in RCIA and will be babtized. However, since I had told the priest that I was before we were married I am concerned that it may invalidate our marriage. If I would have taken time to find out for sure before we got married I would have done what needed to be done to be babtized before the wedding. If this does create a problem, is there anything that I/we can do?

Dear the,

Since you were not baptized when you married in the Catholic Church, your marriage was not sacramental, but it was valid. When you are baptized at the Easter Vigil, your marriage will automatically become sacramental. We will rejoice with you on Easter Sunday. Congratulations!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.