Is my marriage valid?

I have a question regarding whether or not my "current" marriage is valid or not. I was baptized in the Catholic church and have received the sacrament of the Eucharist. I have been away from the catholic church but I am now feeling called to return and receive the sacrament of confirmation. I have been attending mass for the past month or so and will be going to confession this saturday so I may receive our Lord this Sunday.

A little over 3 years ago, I was married to a baptized non-catholic in a baptist church by a baptist minister. A few months ago, I found out that my wife had been cheating on me. I should have seen this coming given her history of inappropriate "chatting" with other men on the internet. So we have separated and I intend on obtaining a civil divorce after the required year of separation in NC.

I have read on the internet in various places that a "mixed marriage" between a catholic and a non-catholic must be blessed or receive a dispensation from a priest. Does this mean my marriage is invalid since this was not done or will I have to receive an annulment in order to remarry in the future?

Since you did not marry with approval of the Catholic Church it is non-existent. To get married in the Catholic Church will require you to get a divorce and provide proof of that and proof of your attempt (marriage certificate). This is a documentary proceedure only, not an anullment. (There are freedom to marry affadavits that must be completed and notarized.)

I am so sorry about the pain and suffering you are going through right now.

If you were baptized in the Catholic Church, you were also required to marry in the Catholic Church, or get permission to marry outside of the Church. If you didn't get that permission, then your marriage lacked the necessary form to confect a sacramental marriage.

I had a similar experience, when I married outside the Church while I was "away."

After our divorce was official (and after I had returned to the Church), I spoke with a deacon at my home parish and filled out the necessary paperwork. It was a "lack of form" annulment, and yes, the official paperwork I received from the tribunal said "Decree of Nullity." There were no "freedom to marry" affadavits, so I'm not sure what Vico is referring to :shrug:

God bless you during this difficult time.

Gertie

[quote="maolszewski, post:1, topic:242504"]
I have a question regarding whether or not my "current" marriage is valid or not. I was baptized in the Catholic church and have received the sacrament of the Eucharist. I have been away from the catholic church but I am now feeling called to return and receive the sacrament of confirmation. I have been attending mass for the past month or so and will be going to confession this saturday so I may receive our Lord this Sunday.

[/quote]

not enough info
be sure to tell all this to the priest in confession especially that you are now separated.

Call the office to make an appointment to talk to him about your situation outside confession. In general a Catholic who marries outside the Church, that is, without regard to Catholic laws on marriage--no Catholic minister, no dispensation to marry a non-Catholic etc.--is not validly married due to lack of form.

If there is no possibility of reconciliation and healing the marriage the priest will certainly not convalidate. When there is a civil divorce there is a procedure to establish the fact that the marriage is not valid. After that you would be free to marry again. If you are not planning to marry again, nothing needs to be done. You can return to the sacraments once you have made a good confession and are no longer living in an irregular situation. You should not date until everything is resolved regarding the current marriage.

I am speaking in general terms with an editorial "you". You personally need to speak to the priest to get things straight and get an answer relevant to your own personal situation

another poster is referring to affidavit of free status. this replaces the older practice of publishing banns of those intending to marry, and each party is required to obtain them whether newly engaged and never married, or planning to marry after divorce and annulment. It is too soon to worry about that now. YOu are absolutely right your next step is sacramental confession.

Welcome home.

[quote="Gertabelle, post:3, topic:242504"]
I am so sorry about the pain and suffering you are going through right now.

If you were baptized in the Catholic Church, you were also required to marry in the Catholic Church, or get permission to marry outside of the Church. If you didn't get that permission, then your marriage lacked the necessary form to confect a sacramental marriage.

I had a similar experience, when I married outside the Church while I was "away."

After our divorce was official (and after I had returned to the Church), I spoke with a deacon at my home parish and filled out the necessary paperwork. It was a "lack of form" annulment, and yes, the official paperwork I received from the tribunal said "Decree of Nullity." There were no "freedom to marry" affadavits, so I'm not sure what Vico is referring to :shrug:

God bless you during this difficult time.

Gertie

[/quote]

It does not require a tribunal formal case is what I mean. The Church does recognize that is was not a Catholic Marriage. It is a documentary case. The freedom to marry affadavits are required for marriage itself.

I have seen different forms used for different dioceses.

PDF from the Military Archdiocese about Lack of Canonical Form, Decree of Nullity:

milarch.org/atf/cf/%7B1AF42501-01D5-4EF8-BA48-4450AC27EF98%7D/nullity.pdf

Freedom to Marry Affadavit:
diocese-sdiego.org/tribunal%5Ctribunal_forms/tribunal_forms/000000%20Affidavit%20-%20Freedom%20to%20Marry.pdf

[quote="puzzleannie, post:4, topic:242504"]
not enough info
be sure to tell all this to the priest in confession especially that you are now separated.

Welcome home.

[/quote]

Thank you all for your responses. That is a great weight off my shoulders. I'm not sure what Annie meant by not enough info though...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.