Is my really cool new job a sin?

Hi y'all! I'm new here so if this question ends up being posted 3 different times please forgive my lack of familiarity with CAF! But anywho, I'm a new college student doing a science major in hopes of becoming a physician. I was baptized, did my first communion, and got confirmed but since then haven't really been involved in going to mass since school has practically taken over my life.

I recently applied and got accepted for this paid internship at one of the best med schools in my state so I'm absolutely ecstatic about it! :D When I shared my joy with some devoutly Catholic friends they pointed out that by taking this job I may be committing sin. You see, this internship allows me to be part of a research team for the pilot studies of male contraceptives. I wouldn't be creating anything, it's simply just gathering information and such. Any thoughts or anything in church doctrines that says I'm (not) committing sin?

Contraception is gravely wrong. Your involvement in this is at odds with your faith. I would decline this internship, even if it means making a financial sacrifice. It's time for you to take a serious look at your life and decide where your priorities lie. The longer you are away from the sacraments (Confession and Eucharist), the more clouded your judgement will become. You will start to rationalize sin until you can no longer see sin in its proper light. Trust me, I was away from confession for 7 years. It happened to me. Finally making a good confession cleared away all the fog so that I could let the light in.

I would discuss it with your priest and/or spiritual director. :wink:

[quote="CatholicRaven, post:3, topic:329441"]
I would discuss it with your priest and/or spiritual director. ;)

[/quote]

This ^

I have to agree with Veronica. You are helping to develop something that is definitely against Church doctrine, contraception is considered "morally unacceptable".

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (see also 2366-2370):
2399 The regulation of births represents one of the aspects of responsible fatherhood and motherhood. Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception).

Your involvement with this research internship constitutes co-operation with this morally unacceptable practice. It sounds like you really care about staying line with the Church's teachings. As such you should seriously reconsider this internship and discuss this situation with a priest or your spiritual director.

[quote="BioNerd, post:1, topic:329441"]
Hi y'all! I'm new here so if this question ends up being posted 3 different times please forgive my lack of familiarity with CAF! But anywho, I'm a new college student doing a science major in hopes of becoming a physician. I was baptized, did my first communion, and got confirmed but since then haven't really been involved in going to mass since school has practically taken over my life.

I recently applied and got accepted for this paid internship at one of the best med schools in my state so I'm absolutely ecstatic about it! :D When I shared my joy with some devoutly Catholic friends they pointed out that by taking this job I may be committing sin. You see, this internship allows me to be part of a research team for the pilot studies of male contraceptives. I wouldn't be creating anything, it's simply just gathering information and such. Any thoughts or anything in church doctrines that says I'm (not) committing sin?

[/quote]

Speak to your priest first.

A doctor will find him self in many situations where he/she is far from certain what may be wrong what right. You must understand that your most important role at that moment is to save a life or cure a sick patient. You may not have time to think about what is sin or not.

Let us say that you attend a person who have tryed to commit suicide due to depression after a abort. (Worst case scenario for a Catholic M.D) You must do what you can to save a life even if that person have done a mortal sin. What will you do? Let her die or save her? But you are not God. You must do what is right at that moment. And right know you must think about what you feel. Yes, it is a sin. But everybody is not Catholic. Some religions do think that abortion or contraceptives are not wrong. As a doctor it is your [damn] business to keep people alive, no matter who they may be, a serial killer has the same rights as the Catholic priest in your OT. A doctor does not choose who to save, and to save the life of a bad person is not a sin. You are a doctor and in front of you is a patient needing help. It is not up to you to make that choice. God does not hate a atheist, He may dislike one for not knowing the truth but God did create him/her and that's it.

If you want to be doctor you need to learn a lot. And when you think you know it all you find out how little you really know, and this study may help someone somewhere and if you feel that you can live with helping out in this project, you do as you feel is right. The fact that you ask about this mean that you are a good Catholic. You can be a doctor without participate in this study, no problem. So, follow your heart. But one thing is for sure, when you walk in to your OT or surgery, you are no longer only a Catholic, you are someone who can help and maybe save lifes. You seem to have doubts about this job? That is a good sign, but, nobody on this forum can tell you what to do.

I wish you all the best and good luck. And what ever you do, never think that you know more then God. Be humble, accept that you will be wrong from time to time and that. Remember that even though you can not be 100% Catholic as a doctor, your soul, heart and mind is, all the time. God bless you.
PS: I would not take that job.

I wouldn't go further with this if I were you. Is their something else maybe they can place you in. maybe talk to them about it their could be something else they can arange for you

Are there any doctors you can talk to who you know are Catholics?

To me, what you will be doing (research) is not promoting contraception: you are investingating it. In time, this may actually help strengthen your belief against it.

I grew up in the UK and I remember that to pass the GCSE (16 year old level) Biology exam, I needed to have a clear understanding of repoduction and be able to name and explain all the mainstream methods of contraception (pill, condom, coil, spermicide, cap) The syllabus didn’t really give NFP a look-in. In fact, the whole emphasis was that contraception was the ‘responsible’ choice; although the exam questions were purely factual.

In order to get a good grade and move on in life, of course I learned what I was told to learn. It hasn’t altered my beliefs. Knowing how things work is good. Imagine trying to defed NFP or arguing against contraception or IVF if you didn’t actually know what they were!

The most damming verdict on contraception I ever heard came from an agnostic GP, who worked in a very deprived area. He began hsi career in the 1960s, thinking the pill was wonderful, amazing and liberating. Now, he sees it as a great social evil.

Why? Well, it has given educated couples the power to restrict their family size and promoted the idea that success is best measured with possessions and wealth and that restricting family size is ‘good’ because the standard living for the family is better. It means that ‘career girls’ aren’t ‘expected to breed’ until they reach their late 30s and indeed, starting a family early is seem as irresponsible because one is throwing away one’s career (has she never heard of contraception?!!!)

On the other hand, the pill has taken away the woman’s right to say ‘no’, because unless she and her partner follow any sort of moral creed, what is her reason to say ‘no’? If she uses contraception, she is unlikely to get pregnant and sex is free entertainment…

Except…it’s the people already trapped in a cycle of poverty and lack of education that can’t understand the instructions; who are more likely to forget to take the pill; who haven’t really got a choice because contraception is pushed so hard by GPs in the UK that the message getting through is ‘if you’re not having sex by the time you’re 14 - you really aren’t normal’

This has helped create a massive social divide, with stressed out working mums who are trying to hang on to the career ladder and maintain their standard of living, while paying through the nose for childcare and feeling guilty about it (and incidently, I know plenty of primary school teachers who will tell you that children from some of the most affluent homes are starting school with the social skills of toddlers - some even still need nappies) Then there are the young girls with no prospects and no hope and no reason to say ‘no’. It’s hard to remember to take your pill or put on yoru condom when you are drunk or high!

This has lead to called for teenage gilrs to have contraceptive implants - it’s like “must stop the underclasses breeding at ALL costs” :eek:

We have a totally unbalanced society now, with a minority of wealthy people, with access to a good education…and a huge underclass, putting a massive strain on education, health and policing.

(and that’s the agnostic’s view :rolleyes:)

[quote="jesus4ever, post:8, topic:329441"]
I wouldn't go further with this if I were you. Is their something else maybe they can place you in. maybe talk to them about it their could be something else they can arange for you

[/quote]

That did cross my mind. And I also would like to add that there is some talk about a very much used contraseptive, a pill, (I will not mention the name.) and lately a few death's has occured that may have something to do with this cp.

Does this job involve simply research, or are chemicals or anything else introduced into the human body?

First case, should be OK. Second case, reconsider.

blessings,
cloisters

Thank you for assuming I'm a good Catholic but right now, I don't think I would even consider myself catholic because of various disagreements with Church teachings. :(
I knew perfectly well what this internship asked of me and I willingly applied so that's why I can't just ask them to switch me to something else. Also the fact that this internship is extremely hard to get, especially for someone without lab experience. I was simply wondering if this really would be a sin since some catholic friends were trying to shove it down my throat that it was. :shrug:

I have talked to some Catholic doctors but I doubt anyone here would consider them "good Catholics" because they have no problem with contraception or prescribing it and pretty much think it would be absolutely ridiculous to turn down this internship. I personally agree with them. :shrug:

Thank you everyone that took their time out to respond and give their input, I very much appreciated it!

By the way, right now all it is, is research and collecting data about the causes of male sterility, treatments, etc. but no actual procedure or drug development!

Personally, I'd go for it. You are not 'promoting' contraception. You are furthering your own knowledge and helping yourself become a better doctor and putting yourself in a much better position to speak out against contraception if that is what you believe.

I've got some close friends who are doctors. Two refuse to sign consents for abortions. One is still firmly anti-contraceptives and the other is a firm believer in them. Both would describe themselves as Catholic, although the latter would say she was 'brought up Catholic' but has concluded she is against the current teaching on contraception.

We've had loads of really interesting debates on this! She works in a very deprived area (same area, ironically, as my agnostic doctor friend who has concluded ABC was a big mistake!) and that's what has shaped her views.

Being a doctor is a wonderful gift. We need doctors! We need doctors with an informed conscience and sound ethics, so don't throw away such an opportunity over a 'what if?' if it means throwing away your career. It's actually a chance to get in there and talk about the ethics of ABC.

[quote="BioNerd, post:1, topic:329441"]

[/quote]

I say go for it. Free market. As long as you're not using it, it's not a sin. In this economy, people don't have time to be choosy about this.

We all pay taxes for birth control and abortion and the bipartisan wars. Unless Catholics organize a huge tax protest, there's no point in getting upset over one internship.

Also - why does anybody care if contraceptives are available to non-believers and irresponsible parents? I hope they use all the contraceptives they can possibly use to prevent having out-of-wedlock children or eventually having abortions. Let it be as available as candy. It's between them and God in the end.

The opposite of love isn’t hate. It’s indifference. :frowning:

[quote="PaleoConCatlick, post:16, topic:329441"]
Also - why does anybody care if contraceptives are available to non-believers and irresponsible parents? I hope they use all the contraceptives they can possibly use to prevent having out-of-wedlock children or eventually having abortions. Let it be as available as candy. It's between them and God in the end.

[/quote]

Yes! I personally think Catholics should focus on getting CATHOLICS to follow church teachings before they start shoving it at non-Catholics! Live and let live! Of course I've already taken the internship so that's a done deal now but thanks again for your input! I was browsing around some threads and I REALLY wish more people had this attitude. But oh well. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.