Is my thought process in a bad place right now?

So I’ve been up to date on the whole knockout game, lately. For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s when young and arrogant brats approach random people and attempt to knock them out. However, people are fighting back, one lady even killed two of the five kids who assaulted her, and I just watched another video where a kid who attempted to play the game. gets kicked in the face and can’t get up. I’ve been fantasizing about what I’d do in that situation, feeling as though I’d go Hannibal Lecter on them, or be like Eli Roth in Inglourious Basterds, beating them with a baseball bat and carving something on their forehead.

Am I in trouble for thinking this?

It is sinful to fantasize about violence.

It is all right to think to yourself, “If someone did this, then I would have to respond with actions x, y, and z.” That’s just preparing yourself mentally for what you may have to do physically. However, when you think gleefully or with pleasure of harming another person, not for the purpose of self-defense, but for the purpose of deliberately hurting them in revenge for their intended assault, that is sinful.

It’s a toughie:)

I don’t know how old you are, but if you are not an adult, be careful! It is one thing to defend yourself, but bear in mind that if you do, stick around until the police come. Otherwise friends you your attacker might get back at you.
It is one thing to fantasize about what you would do, but in doing so, becareful not to allow racism enter into it, because it is all to easy to then transfer your thoughts into agressive behavior which is wrong.

yes. It’s one thing to be prepared in case one is attacked and what to do in terms of self-defense, but it is another if you start to image how you would harm them back and the 2 examples you gave are just a ugly as the knock out game itself. Yes, there will always be evil people doing evil things to others but the final judgement is always left to God. Unless you knew personally someone that has been hurt by this, focus your mind not on an angry response but how one can defend themselves and always be aware of their surroundings in preparation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.