Is my vocation less important than other vocations?

Thank you for all of our comments in advance.

Yesterday, I went on a pilgrimage..it was amazing!! I made 2 friends on this journey both were the same age as me (mid 20's), one was on his break from seminary and one was on a break (due to illness) from a convent. I had never sat down and spoke to people in either of these vocations before, it was amazing, inspiring and I am so happy for them.

I am about to enter my vocation of marriage in a few weeks, and I know that God is calling me to be a wife and mother,and I am delighted by this.

However, after yesterday it dawned on me that by marriage being my vocation will I not be as close to Our Lord as other vocations? Is my vocation less important? It has actually made me a little bit sad! Is this true?

Thank you!

No, the world needs exemplary wives and mothers. I am sure you will be one of them!

[quote="FullOfThought, post:1, topic:263450"]

Yesterday, I went on a pilgrimage..it was amazing!! I made 2 friends on this journey both were the same age as me (mid 20's), one was on his break from seminary and one was on a break (due to illness) from a convent. I had never sat down and spoke to people in either of these vocations before, it was amazing, inspiring and I am so happy for them.

I am about to enter my vocation of marriage in a few weeks, and I know that God is calling me to be a wife and mother,and I am delighted by this.

However, after yesterday it dawned on me that by marriage being my vocation will I not be as close to Our Lord as other vocations? Is my vocation less important? It has actually made me a little bit sad! Is this true?

Thank you!

[/quote]

I used to think that way, too. Until my parish priest told me this: "Our basic vocation is to be good Christians. Our goal is the pearl of great price - Heaven. Whatever your vocation is, do it well. That's all that matters." :)

God bless all young people discerning their vocations!

No vocation is lesser than any other. Each is important and fulfils a vital role in our world and in the Church. Your vocation is what the Lord is calling you to do, that is where you are best suited to serve the Lord. Your closeness to the Lord will be up to you, and how you live your vocation.

Congratulations, I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you!

[/quote]

Well, as a woman who discovered that her vocation is to be a wife and mother, you know what my answer is going to be...;)

What vocation could be more important than helping God bring new souls into being, and training them up in the way they should go??? You will need to be in prayer for your family constantly, and rely upon your faith to get you through the tough times as well as to keep you anchored even in good times!

And, since the role of mommy is by nature, limited by time, you can have other vocations as well! It's a win-win!

:)

Looking forward to hearing all about your wedding day!

No, no less important. Your vocation is a calling by God in the proper sense, so how could it be less important? It is most important that you follow Christ and His Will. Not so? If you know that this is your vocation you have a duty to follow it.

That said, it is also true that a vocation to the religious life or priesthood is a higher calling as evidenced in scripture and sacred Tradition. Not all are called to such a life though. If you are not, then you are doing exactly what you must do and what God wants you to do; and if that is the case, you have nothing to fear.

Thank you!

[/quote]

Definitely not! Here is a quote from the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word website: "Each of us has a vocation or a call from God – a calling to holiness of life!" In short, this means that no matter what we're called to do, that is the way we will be holiest. The Holy Father wouldn't be half the man he would be if he had gotten married, and it is the same if Saint Monica had become a Nun instead of having a child who would go on to become Saint Augustine, a Doctor of the Church! If you are indeed called to marriage, this is the way that you will become holiest. There is literally no other way on earth to become more holy than following your vocation.

Marriage is an 'essential' sacrament, which provides witness to the mutual love of the father & the Son, and for the future of the Church.

Women, in particular, are called, through Motherhood, to share in God's creativity in a particular way. By reason of their pain & discomfort, blood and water, a woman cooperates in partnership with God to bring new life into the world.

Adam had his boasts, but thereafter it has been Woman who has been able to declare
" Flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone!".

Thank you!

[/quote]

Hi, well the Church teaches that religious life is "objectively" a higher calling (though those who are called to it are not any more worthy!), but if you are called to marriage than marriage is your own path to holiness.. always follow God's will for you :) you would probably not become a saint, if you followed another vocation than your own. St Therese's parents are beatified and they were married of course (and raised a Saint)! there are other married Saints as well. So it's very important to follow God's will. :) and yes you can still be close to God; for example St Frances of Rome was married, but she lived such a holy life and could even see her guardian Angel at all times. Just seek Him first. Religious life is a great calling and a nun becomes Christ's spouse but a person would not benefit from it as much if their vocation was elsewhere, where God had prepared graces for them.

God bless you! :)

What vocation could be higher or more perfect than God's Will and invitation?

Thank you!

[/quote]

Not at all! :D If you believe that Our Lord is calling you to marriage, then that is His vocation for you, the path He would like you to use to become holy.

Our Lord wants all of us to become holy, but the way we do that is different for each of us. For some, it is to get married, for others to become a priest, or to enter the consecrated life. Our Lord chooses the path that is the bast way for you to become holy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.