Is NFP the same as other birth control methods?

My husband and I decided to learn and to practice NFP (Billings Ovulation Method in particular) when we were taking a couple of seminars prior to our wedding convalidation. But beforehand, I was taking pills as a method of contraception. I do not really want to sound so smart-alecky, but something came across my mind: If a married couple should and must be open to pro-creation, would there be any difference between practicing NFP and other means of contraception (ie: pills)? Am I committing mortal sin by abstaining from sexual intercourse when I know I am fertile? Would not it be the same thing if I was taking birth control pills instead? By the way, we were practicing NFP for age-spacing of our (future) kids and also for preparing ourselves to be financially stable. Pardon me for my questions… I will certainly appreciate your reply. :slight_smile:

ulik,

These links should be helpful in understanding the difference between artificial birth control and natural family planning. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Why is NFP okay?
What is the moral difference between contraception
by artificial means and NFP?

If Onan was struck down for wasting his seed, why is NFP OK?
Contraceptives and Natural Family Planning
Must a couple have “grave reason” to use NFP?
Is NFP OK for birth control or only for spacing births?

Recommended Resources:
God, Sex, and Babies by Christopher West
Love, Sex, and Babies by Jason Evert
Humanae Vitae by Pope Paul VI
Good News About Sex and Marriage by Christopher West (book)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.