Is not being a man of your word a sin?

For example if i say to my mother im going to wash the dishes i then i don’t am i sinning?
Assuming i did not lie when i said that im going to wash the dishes.

Also i would like to know if someone(Jesus,Peter,Paul,…) in the bible says let there be no this or do not do this and doesnt directly says that the action is a sin, are you sinning if you break that what is said?

The bible says not to swear and give oaths. So if yo swear and give an oath are you sinning? Or was that only a recomendation?

It is sinful to swear and oath of which you cannot keep. So oaths that are impossible for you to keep, like say you can’t be somewhere at the promised time, or something which goes contrary to what God commands, then it is sinful to take such an oath.

And in regard to the original question in the subject, if you are not a man of your word, you are bearing false witness against your neighbor (aka. lying), which goes against one of God’s commandments.

Well that is kinda like lying isn’t it? Not a direct one such as a “white lie” or libel but if it is not fulfilled-I think it becomes a lie then.

Depends. Did you intend to do the dishes, and then you got sick and couldn’t? No problem.

Or did you say you’d do the dishes, and then decide you wanted to do something else instead? That’s a different story.

Not following through on what you say is a terrible habit that I am dealing with right now. I will sat things to people not because I want to but because I think it will help. Then I have trouble following though…

On the one hand, I am trying not to tell people I will do things, and on the other, trying to do the things I say I will.

I do think it is a sin for which I do not have a name, but it certainly leads to a lot of trouble in one’s life and hurts other people. Just to make them feel happy at this moment is not good if I end up making them more unhappy later.

I don’t know whether it’s sinful—that’s between you & your confessor. But I can tell you this for certain, habitual failure to keep one’s word destroys the bonds of friendship. It’s important to be the sort of person others can always count on. Relates to the virtue of fortitude: let your yes be yes, & your no be no.

What about if you forgot that you gave your word to someone? Are you still sinning?

It certainly isn’t a sin to break an “oath” that was given is haste, without due reflection and pertaining to innocuous situations.

It is a bad habit, though, to not follow through on something that you said you would.

This is an example of the frailty of the human condition. We want to do what is best and right, but our own shortcomings tend to get in the way. In the future, try to recognize your own shortcomings and, before making the promise, realize that it is something that you know you probably can’t do.

The severity of the sin is between you and God and strongly depends on your motives for breaking your promise.

However, if you do not follow through on your word, you can not expect people to trust you and there is no one to blame but yourself.

And do not take this personally because it is speaking the truth in love. Habitually not following through on our word shows a big lack of maturity. After having done the dishes a few times, one knows the time and energy required. If you say you say yes, a mature person recognizes what they are saying yes to and agreed because they can do the dishes. If you say yes, and don’t follow through (unless unexpected circumstances show up) it shows a refusal to take 2 seconds to think about what you are agreeing to and a refusal to consider other people’s feelings before making a promise

1 John 2:5 :
But whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:

Numbers 30:1-2 :
Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of the people of Israel, saying, “This is what the Lord has commanded. If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.

A question, if a man says he will do something to God and if he founds that he cannot do that or that what he said was a mistake can he ask God to absolve him of what he said? If yes what “biblical evidence” is for this claim and what does the church teach regarding this issue?

Another question, are you also sinning if you are saying something to yourself and then you change your mind about it, like for example saying that you will eat and then you change your mind, because Jesus said " But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’" or does that only applies when speaking to other people?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.