Is not masturbating really unhealthy?

Whenever I tell people I don’t masturbate they tell me it’ll give me prostate cancer etc etc etc.

Honestly, I don’t believe it is unhealthy and I think it’s just secular society distorting the truth a bit.

But how do we combat this? It seems to be a big thing for people - the fact that psychologists/doctors actually recommend it because of the apparently healthy benefits of it. I personally have not suffered. But would like to know if there is anything out there, any truthful medical publication, that says “Abstaining does not cause prostate cause” or something.

From the American Cancer Society, there seems to be nothing about masturbation either for or against. Instead, it mentions diet, exercise, genetics, family history. Sounds like people are doing the same thing (in reverse) of what happened in the Middle Ages: “masturbation causes blindness!” but now its “not masturbating causes blindness”

ww2.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_What_causes_prostate_cancer_36.asp

To be honest, masturbation is a personal failure for me; I am ashamed to admit it. (Domine Iesu Christe, Filius Dei, miserere me peccatorem!) I feel nauseous for an entire week after committing such a sin, but that would be dismissed as my religion getting in the way.

Society favors sexual “freedom,” so any group that is to be socially accepted will perhaps twist research or make up “facts” to support their perversions.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of doctors and psychologists recommend masturbation and, then, to see how many practicing Catholic doctors and psychologists recommend it.

When alluding to the physiological manifestation of masturbation, its proponents would like to have us believe it’s “natural” or “normal” . Both of those discriptives are misnomers. The word that should be used, to preserve the truth, is that masturbation is neither natural nor normal, but rather, common.

We cannot say sexual behaviour is natural when it is removed from marriage act. If we remove it from the marriage act, we change its function - no matter how many people are doing it. It is true that most human beings have a very strong sex drive - without it, one wonders what our rate of success would have been pertaining to propogation of the species.

But where a lot of people miss the boat on this one, is in solely considering the physical side of masturbation. That’s barely half of it . If we are brutally honest with ourselves, we discover that the lion’s share of the sin in masturbation, in most cases, is in the spiritual domain … in what’s going on in our own minds when this happens.

We all get temptations and suggestive thoughts periodically flashing through our minds in our lives - that also would be common. And circumstances can sometimes make these thoughts or suggestions particularly difficult to deal with. It is when we act upon these kind of thoughts, or we entertain them for an inordinate amount of time, by choice, that we begin to approach that *spiritual hazard zone *which the Church cautions us about.

… Rather difficult to imagine someone making an effort in this area only to later fall physically ill because of these same efforts… that wouldn’t be “normal.”

Most of the confessors I’ve had the privilege of speaking to about this particular subject are very compassionate, while never denying the “deviation” element.
:slight_smile:

Yes because excess semen is clearly a carcinogen… lol

Not true. If you do not masturbate your body will find a way to rid itself of excess… “stuff” this usually happens in the way of nocturnal emissions… even if that doesn’t happen the unused sperm cells die and are absorbed by the body. I’d be curious to see if there’s a medical study that shows otherwise… but I’d be surprised.

Even if it is unhealthy to the body, it still is very healthy to the soul! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.