Is one allowed to miss Mass for works of mercy?

I have a question about missing Mass on Sunday. I opened a charity last year that goes out into the community and provides a meal, clothing and hygiene to the homeless in the streets. I never miss Mass unless its due to children being sick.The tentative schedule for my upcoming events are on Sundays and finding a mass time before or after I am done is somewhat difficult.

If I cannot make Mass on a Sunday due to feeding the homeless am I committing a sin? Is it not permissible? I have gotten mixed answers. Thanks in advance.

Dear friend,

It is of utmost importance to keep your priorities straight. Since you are the leader of this ministry, it is your responsibility to put Mass first. Design the schedule accordingly. Certainly, with Saturday evening Vigil Masses and Sunday night Masses, you should be able to do this. Can you see Mother Teresa skipping Sunday Mass for her work with the poor? As the Psalm goes: “If the Lord does not build the house, in vain do the builders labor.” That being said, God does not expect the impossible. If it is impossible to attend Mass on a particular Sunday, this is not a sin. May God bless you and your ministry’

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.