Is Orthodox Judaism on the verge of a historic schism?

In recent years, the Orthodox world in Israel and abroad has witnessed a mass revolt that aims to undermine the rabbinical establishment and bring Orthodoxy into the modern era.

haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-features/.premium-1.668002

I hope that this will NOT be reflected in
the Catholic ordination of women as
priests!

How could a schism in Judaism cause the ordination of women in Catholicism…?

Read the link in the OP.

Do you have a link that isn’t pay / register -blocked?

If you select the first paragraph, search google, click the link for the article, and then there’s no pay wall.

The main thrust of the article is about the appointment of women as “rabbas” in what could be called “liberal orthodox Judaism”.

I also don’t see how that has any implications for Catholicism, though.

Remember, if you marry the spirit of the age, you’ll soon be a widower.

That’s the gist I got from their synopsis paragraph, and I agree; there’s no reason this would have any affect on Catholicism. We are not Jewish, we are Catholic. The Jews could unanimously decide that there’s no God and it wouldn’t affect us except to make us weep for their loss.

@ProdglArchitect
The article highlights a trend towards ordaining women as
leaders of the Church, which the Catholic Church is the
lone holdout, given her Magisterium. Even the Salvation
Army has a Woman leader as their General!!!

I don’t believe the Orthodox are entertaining female ordination either.

Eh, it seems to me that Protestantisms are all over the place with regard to women leaders. It’s difficult when dealing with “low church” scenarios, since they don’t recognize formal ordination anyhow.

I think Mormons restrict their so-called priesthood to men (for now… always subject to change, er, new revelation!), but I can’t speak for other denominations. I know Anglicans recently permitted female bishops… All this to say, though, that I think I see what you’re getting at. Liberals and modernists inside the Church may see this and demand “me too! Everyone else is doing it!”

Fortunately truth is not decided by majority vote, so I don’t fear for the Church. The Holy Spirit guides and protects Her until Christ comes again.

This shouldn’t matter to Catholics one iota. The Church’s stance on ordination of women is that it can never happen because it (the Church) doesn’t have the authority to even discuss it given that Jesus chose a strictly male priesthood.

I don’t understand why anyone would think that what the world is doing or not doing today or any day has some bearing on Catholic doctrine. Granted there are what appear to be modernists within the church who would like to see things changed, but as said previously, decisions on faith and morals are guided and protected by God himself. We have nothing to be concerned about.

Every other Church on Earth could engage in female ordination, the Catholic Church would continue to reaffirm the Truth that only men can be priests. This can never change, so it means very little to us what other churches and faiths are doing.

Nor the Anglican Reformed (low church).

That’ll never happen, count on it !! Saint John Paul II made that VERY clear. Not even open for discussion!! God Bless, Memaw

That is your opinion, but it is not the opinion of the local Catholic priest here who in his sermons has supported women priests.

Then your local priest hold a heterodox and potentially heretical position that will never bee supported by the Catholic Church.

I’m sorry to seem rude or overly blunt, but this is the reality of the situation. Your priest is mistaken, misguided, and is promoting something in opposition to Catholic Doctrine. He is not properly fulfilling his role as a pastor and leader of the Church.

Father Sullivan says that the declaration against women priests is not infallible.

Your local priest is simply wrong. And your local priest doesn’t get to decide what is true and what is false.

He’s right. The “declaration” (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis) by Pope John Paul II is not an ex cathedra infallible pronouncement of extraordinary magisterium BUT

wait for it

The DOCTRINE that women can never be ordained to the priesthood is infallible as part of the ordinary universal magisterium, and Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict) said so while he headed up the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

See here: jimmyakin.com/library/womens-ordination-its-infallible#letter

where then Cardinal Ratzinger says:

In response to this precise act of the Magisterium of the Roman Pontiff, explicitly addressed to the entire Catholic Church, all members of the faithful are required to give their assent to the teaching stated therein. To this end, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, with the approval of the Holy Father, has given an official Reply on the nature of this assent; it is a matter of full definitive assent, that is to say, irrevocable, to a doctrine taught infallibly by the Church. In fact, as the Reply explains, the definitive nature of this assent derives from the truth of the doctrine itself, since, founded on the written Word of God, and constantly held and applied in the Tradition of the Church, it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary universal Magisterium (cf. Lumen Gentium, 25). Thus, the Reply specifies that this doctrine belongs to the deposit of the faith of the Church. It should be emphasized that the definitive and infallible nature of this teaching of the Church did not arise with the publication of the Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Well, he’s wrong. It’s a Dogma of the Church.

From the Catechism:

1577 "Only a baptized man (vir) validly receives sacred ordination."66 The Lord Jesus chose men (viri) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry.67 The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.68

I don’t know if he’s promoting it out of ignorance, or because he actively disagrees with the Church, but he is mistaken. You should make him aware of this passage of the Catechism. You should do so with Charity, of course, and assume that he simply doesn’t know; but it is never kind nor loving to allow someone to continue on in ignorance, especially when they will be held accountable for teaching error to their flock. (Which all priests will be if they do, to whatever extent is just.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.