Is Peter's Tomb in Rome or on the Mt. of Olives?

Where is Peter’s Tomb? The Church says it’s under St. Peter’s Basilica, but some say it’s on the Mt. of Olives. Check out this scholarly site…

aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm

Hmm. That doesn’t look like a scholarly site. It’s part of “Michael Scheiflers Bible Light Home Page.” As for the author of the article, F. Paul Peterson, I couldn’t find any reputable information about him. But he is quoted approvingly on the Jack Chick website.

Sacred Tradition stated that St. Peter was buried under St. Peter’s Basillica…and then, archeologists discovered a box dating from the 1st Century marked in such a way as to indicate that it held the bones of Peter the Apostle. The bones in the box also dated from the 1st Century, were male and were semetic (Jewish) in origin.

The box was found exactly where Tradition stated St. Peter was buried.

Interesting…

It is said that if the dome of St.Peter’s basilica were plumbed from the center, it would be directly over the bones of St. Peter where it was found. This is one of the cool things about Catholic Architecture, it really as Chesterton put it fulfilled what Jesus said about the stones crying out, it came in the form of these magnificent basilicas.

in XT.

the article you sent states…

“Strained attempts to have Peter, the Apostle to the Hebrews of the East, in Paul’s territory at Rome and martyred there are unworthy of serious consideration in the light of all contemporary evidence. At his age (eighty-two), that would not have been practicable. In none of Paul’s writings is there the slightest intimation that Peter ever had been or was at that city. All statements to the contrary were made centuries later and are fanciful and hearsay. The Papacy was not organized until the second half of the 8th century. It broke away from the Eastern Church (in the Ency. Brit., 13th Ed., vol. 21, page 636) under Pippin III; also the Papacy, by Abbe Guette.”

Ignatius of Antioch;
“Not as Peter and Paul did, do I command you. They were apostles, and I am a convict” (Letter to the Romans 4:3 [A.D. 110]). (( Peter commanded the Romans…and this statement
was made in 110, only a few years after Peter’s death, not
"centuries later" like the article states. ))

“this is the way in which the apostolic churches transmit their lists: like the church of the Smyrneans, which records that Polycarp was placed there by John, like the church of the Romans, where Clement was ordained by Peter” (Demurrer Against the Heretics 32:2 [A.D. 200]).
(( how could Peter ordain Clement in the church of Rome
without being the bishop of Rome? ))

and there are dozens of examples… plus

1 Peter 5:13 ( KJV )
“The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son." (( Babylon, being Rome,
as almost unanamously accepted by historians, and used in
Revelations 14:8 17:5 and 18:2 ))

Peter was in Rome… was martyred there…

:slight_smile:

It should also be noted that the body found in the Catacombs was of a person over 6 feet tall (very rare back then) and Peter was said to be 6ft 2in (or something like that). It also showed signs of crucifixion similar to the ones that Peter is believed to have had.

Also, it may be worth sending our friend from that website the Letter from St. Clement to the Church in Corinth which pretty much cinched the Papal Authority that is based in Rome around 90 AD.

Notworthy

The most convincing book on this that I have read is The World’s Greatest Secret by John M. Haffert. Has anyone else read it?

[quote=mshealy]Where is Peter’s Tomb? The Church says it’s under St. Peter’s Basilica, but some say it’s on the Mt. of Olives. Check out this scholarly site…

aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm
[/quote]

This is the website of the same guy that tells us that Jesus was really Michael the Archangel. He’s 7th Day Adventist…a group that has repeatedly predicted the day of Christ’s return (in clear defiance of the Word of God) & been wrong every time. So if that is this guy’s idea of “Bible Light” then I’m pretty skeptical.

The only work that he can point to is the one volume by a couple of dead Italian priests, and the only people that seem to even attempt to believe it are non-Catholics who cite each other’s work as evidence. The marks that they cite as evidence of the writings could be forgeries so far as I am concerned. If this was all such hot and valid research, why hasn’t anyone else found it and documented it? One pair of guys says something & suddenly it’s the gospel truth? If this was so strong then there would be more to it than this…but there’s not. I googled the work in question, and there is really not much that doesn’t lead ya back in circles.

I’ll take the documentation of the wartime discovery in St. Peter’s Basilica over this any day of the week.
Pax vobiscum,

[quote=mshealy]Where is Peter’s Tomb? The Church says it’s under St. Peter’s Basilica, but some say it’s on the Mt. of Olives. Check out this scholarly site…%between%
[/quote]

Every reputable scholar and or person who has actually investigated the facts, be they Catholic, Protestant, or secular, will affirm that the vast preponderance of the avialable evidence indicates that the remains of Peter were discovered in Rome.

[quote=NotWorthy]It should also be noted that the body found in the Catacombs was of a person over 6 feet tall (very rare back then) and Peter was said to be 6ft 2in (or something like that). It also showed signs of crucifixion similar to the ones that Peter is believed to have had.

Also, it may be worth sending our friend from that website the Letter from St. Clement to the Church in Corinth which pretty much cinched the Papal Authority that is based in Rome around 90 AD.

Very interesting information. Where did you get the information that St. Peter was 6’2"?
[/quote]

I knew someone would ask me that. I’m going to have to look. I’m glad I didn’t mention the fact that he also had great hair like all great leaders (just joking).

Notworthy

Have you read the book “The Bones of Saint Peter” by John E. Walsh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.