Is possessing Marijuana mortal sin?

Okay, so I don’t have any desire to smoke again sense my baptism which was this year on the Easter vigil two days ago but I have over 10 grams of marijuan in my room. My questions is, is this mortal sin. To have it. It is illigal in Florida also. I’m not smoking it or giving it to anyone else I’m just curious if this is grave sin or not. If anyone could quote the Catechism or something along those lines, that would be great. I’m hesitant of throwing it away because it’s worth a lot. I know that’s a pretty lame excuse. I guess I’m afraid that I will regret it.

God bless!!

Well I got rid of it. I decided it would probably be mortal sin to keep it knowing it’s illegal and at least a venial sin thus putting Marijuana before God which is in fact a mortal sin. So I realized that if I didn’t get rid of it once I realized that then I would be commuting moral sin. Sooo I bleached it. It was sooo difficult to do.

LennyFL, God bless you! :):thumbsup::bounce::yup::clapping:

I think you did the right thing. As to sinfulness, let me find a link on the Catechism of the Catholic Church on that. Sounds like it is.

Scroll down to 2291vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

Possibly 2290 is also apt, which condemns the excessive use of substances, rather than their moderate use.

I don’t think its a mortal sin, but if it wasn’t good for you and on top of that it was competing with God, then yes, that is sinful and I’d say you did the right thing! Congrats!

Is Possessing Pot a Mortal Sin?

Possession is 9 points of the Law.

Is Possessing some Birth Control Pills a Mortal Sin?
No, but taking one is a Mortal Sin?

Is Possessing a Nuclear Bomb a Mortal Sin?
Naah … but if you set it off, it’s a Mortal Sin.

Is Possessing less than half-an-Ounce of Marijuana a Sin?
No, especially if that person does not plan to Smoke it.
But, IF possessing that Pot makes you feel like you need to Smoke it, then possessing Pot is a Near Occasion of Sin … which is (somewhat) damaging to your Spirituality.

I thought it was pretty Silly to start a Thread about this Issue, and then within 10 Minutes claim to destroy the subject of this Thread.
Then, instead of just Delete your now-Obsolete Thread (which you can DO within 20 Mintues of Posting your OP), you claim to have just gotten rid of the Pot, in a (seeming) attempt to garner Cheers from other CAF’ers.

Create a Quandry … and then become a Hero.
So, I guess you are a Hero now.

If it is illegal to possess in your jurisdiction, and it’s not authorized for medical use, it may be a mortal sin to possess it and/or use it.

Is it grave matter?
Yes, because it is illegal to possess.

Do you possess it with full knowledge of it being grave matter?
You posted that you knew it was illegal to possess.

Did you possess it with full consent of your will?
For the time after your Baptism, did you continue to possess the marijuana with full consent of your will? I can’t answer that for you. If “yes,” that’s a mortal sin. If “no,” it’s venial.

4love2God asked, “Is Possessing less than half-an-Ounce of Marijuana a Sin ?”

Yes. It is illegal, by the OPs admission. Breaking a just LAW is a SIN, last I checked. What may be in SIN in Florida may nor be a sin in Colorado. It may also be a SIN if it is ABUSED, even in places where it it Legal.

It is Not , a Near Occasion of Sin just to possess an illegal, substance before using it ; it is a sin topossess the substance because it is, ILLEGAL .

It is also UNCHARITABLE to assume a poster’s Intent for posting.

So, OP, yes, I and many others WILL cheer you on for making the right decision and encourage you to stay clean and sober. I’ll pray that you get in touch with rehab resources if you need them.

What?! So morality is relative? If using cannabis recreationally is a sin, it is a sin everywhere. If it is not, it is a sin nowhere.

I agree with Lenny’s decision, but I disagree with your statement and the dynamics between sin and the law.

Miserissima claims** : "4love2God asked, “Is Possessing less than half-an-Ounce of Marijuana a Sin ?”
Yes. It is illegal, by the OPs admission. Breaking a just LAW is a SIN, last I checked.**

Oh, well, tell me, Miserissima, when was the Last Time that you checked with the Catholic Church to find out that merely Possessing Pot is a Sin?
This is ESPECIALLY so, when certain places in the World have completely Legalized it.
AND, that for 1000s of years, people took Pot as a medication.
When the USA went about Banning it, Pot was a MAJOR Prescription Drug.
So, you are STRETCHING this pretty far, in my opinion.
Therefore, have Millions of people Sinned, when over those 5,000-or-so years, used Pot?

And Miserissima likewise claims : "If it is illegal to possess in your jurisdiction, and it’s not authorized for medical use, it may be a mortal sin to possess it and/or use it."

“May” is the opperative Word here.
This is the REAL ignorant part of the Post.
Here she is, throwing around things that don’t make any sense.
So, IF Pot is NOT authorized where you Live, to be used medically, then it MAY be a Mortal Sin?
But, IF Pot IS authorized for medical use where you live, it’s OK and NOT a Sin at all?
I think you have this whole Mortal Sin thing confused, and turned around.

Then, when was the Last Time you checked with the Catholic Church to discover if the Catholic Church considers Possessing Pot (when a particular State has Banned it) is a Sin?
And, when did you check to see if the Church considers anti-Pot laws as Just?

Please let me know.
Because I have already done my Homework on this Issue within the Catholic Church, and I believe my opinion is the Correct One.

Probably the best is to get rid of it if it’s illegal, if it’s not and you dont feel the urge to smoke it, then it is morally neutral.

Oh, well, tell me, Miserissima,

Please raise your level of discourse or don’t reply to me. The forum rules are clear about sarcasm and rudeness.

when was the Last Time that you checked with the Catholic Church to find out that merely Possessing Pot is a Sin?

2234 God’s fourth commandment also enjoins us to honor all who for our good have received authority in society from God. It clarifies the duties of those who exercise authority as well as those who benefit from it. Etc…

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a4.htm

catholicity.com/catechism…l_society.html

This is ESPECIALLY so, when certain places in the World have completely Legalized it.

And in places where it is not legal? “Let everyone obey the authorities that are over him, for there is no authority except from God, and all authority that exists is established by God.” (Rm 13:3)

AND, that for 1000s of years, people took Pot as a medication.
When the USA went about Banning it, Pot was a MAJOR Prescription Drug.
So, you are STRETCHING this pretty far, in my opinion.
Therefore, have Millions of people Sinned, when over those 5,000-or-so years, used Pot?

No. My premise is not that possessing or using marijuana is against natural law. It is against a civil law of where one is subject to his government. Being subject to that civil law (when the law is just) falls under the purview of natural law. St. Thomas Aquinas noted good citizenship includes recognizing the government’s authority and following just laws.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

And Miserissima likewise claims : "If it is illegal to possess in your jurisdiction, and it’s not authorized for medical use, it may be a mortal sin to possess it and/or use it."

“May” is the opperative Word here.
This is the REAL ignorant part of the Post.
Here she is, throwing around things that don’t make any sense.

Don’t talk of me in third person after addressing me directly.

You are correct that “may” is the operative word. Again, if it is against the moral law where one lives, then it is a crime (and therefore the crime is the sin) to possess or use marijuana in that jurisdiction.

If a civil law coincides with a natural or moral law, then one may incur sin by not obeying a just moral law.

So , IF Pot is NOT authorized where you Live, to be used medically, then it MAY be a Mortal Sin?

No. If marijuana possession or use is illegal in your area, it is a crime to possess or use it. Breaking the just moral law is both a crime and a sin.

Conversely, if prostitution is legal and permitted by a just civil law (or lack thereof), it is still prohibited by natural law.

But, IF Pot IS authorized for medical use where you live, it’s OK and NOT a Sin at all?

Yes, if taken as prescribed.

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine.

There is one code of natural law, and many codes or moral law. These moral codes are so different from state to state that even the US has adopted the “elastic clause,” that is, you are bound by the laws of your jurisdiction. To put that in context, when Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin in [Tennessee?], his marriage would not have been recognized in Connecticut.

I think you have this whole Mortal Sin thing confused, and turned around.

Please refute the three elements of mortal sin under a just civil law (with or without it coinciding with natural law), under the precept of “*
Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris*.”

Then, when was the Last Time you checked with the Catholic Church to discover if the Catholic Church considers Possessing Pot (when a particular State has Banned it) is a Sin?

And, when did you check to see if the Church considers anti-Pot laws as Just?

Please let me know.
Because I have already done my Homework on this Issue within the Catholic Church, and I believe my opinion is the Correct One.

I believe I’ve addressed each of your points with Scripture, Catechism, quotes of saints.

Would you mind sharing your opinion on the Pontifical Council for Health and Pastoral Care’s publication on this topic as part of your research?

I am not sure of florida’s laws, is it illegal in all cases? Of course federally it is illegal so we can go with that.

We have a duty to follow just laws. The law against recreational marijuana is in my view a just law and as such should be followed. I would say throw it out.

Congrats on your baptism!

Now…I would say laws against medical marijuana are unjust and can be broken, but that is another thread perhaps.

I didn’t know you could delet the thread. Posting the thread made me realize that I need to get rid of it. I honestly don’t care what a bunch of random people on the internet think of me. I’m sure they’re wonderful people though. I was also cerious about what people had to say about the sinfulness of possessioning marijuan. Soo, go troll somewhere else xD
God bless!!!

I think this is best and a powerful symbol of your new life.

So I know that breaking the law is sin, of course, but how does breaking the law constitute mortal sin. Is speeding mortal sin? I believe it is mortal sin to actually smoke it under the lines of drukeness but simply breaking the law is not mortal sin is it? Wouldn’t this just be veinal sin?

And I’m not saying that because it’s veinal it’s okay and you should do it. I’m just trying to understand what type of sin it actually is.

This seems correct to me.

Let me clarify that marijuana of morally neutral.

If there is a just law against its possession, we are bound to obey that law.

Regarding legalization, the Pontifical Council for the Family announced back in 1997 that, , "
20. The Church wishes to draw attention to the repercussions of this phenomenon. She emphasizes the fact that, in the event of the legalization of the sale and use of products encouraging drug dependence, the future of individuals is at stake. The lives of some will be diminished, that is, marred, while others, perhaps without falling into real dependence, will waste their youth without fully developing their potential. Experiments must not be carried out at people’s expense. The behaviour that leads to drug dependence has no chance of being corrected if the products that encourage this behaviour are sold without restriction."

John Paul II noted that there is a.difference between drugs used for medicinal purposes versus being taken recreationally, as well as drinking socially contrasted with drug abuse, "It is true that there is a distinct difference between the use of drugs and the use of alcohol: while a moderate use of the latter as a drink does not offend moral principles, only its abuse can be condemned; instead, the use of drugs is always unlawful because it implies an unjustified and unreasonable renunciation of thinking, desiring and acting as a free pentium Hominum, 19, VII, 1992, n. 1).

Sorry…I tried to delete my last post but then my phone lost power.

I wasn’t being clear, I’m sorry. Drugs and alcohol are morally neutral. Abuse of them is a sin. I cannot judge for others what their tolerance is, or how they are affected by their choices.

I was discussing civil law vs. moral law on a morally neutral substance used medicinally, not recreationally. And, if used recreationally, not abused. Where and how would it be licit, and what is the culpability of a person who may be addicted? (Not implying that the OP is.)

Let me clarify that I’m operating under the premise that marijuana possession is morally neutral but civilly unlawful. I am neither advocating its recreational use nor defending its legalization.

If it is not illegal to use medicinally, and is used as a medication, there can be no breaking of the moral or civil laws.

If it is illegal in Springfield to do a morally neutral act, such as drinking from your garden hose, you are bound by the just law of Springfield to not drink from your garden hose. Drinking from your garden hose may be morally neutral, but you are subject to the just laws of those in authority. Therefore, drinking from your hose is not a sin. However, breaking a just law is a sin.

If you are visiting Burlington, where there is no restriction on drinking from hoses, have at it. The sin is not in the morally neutral action. The sin is being disobedient to the just law of the civil authorities.

Similarly, if there is a just law against marijuana use or possession, we are bound to obey that law, wherever that law is in full force and effect.

I am neither defending the recreational use nor fighting against the legalization of marijuana, if marijuana use or possession is truly morally neutral.

But 4loves2god, since you’ve told me about your extensive research into this topic, how have you formed your conscience around these two quotes:

1. Regarding legalization, the Pontifical Council for the Family announced back in 1997 that, “The Church wishes to draw attention to the repercussions of this phenomenon [drug abuse not controlled prescription use]. She emphasizes the fact that, in the event of the legalization of the sale and use of products **encouraging drug dependence, the future of individuals is at stake. **The lives of some will be diminished, that is, marred, while others, perhaps without falling into real dependence, will waste their youth without fully developing their potential. Experiments must not be carried out at people’s expense. The behaviour that leads to drug dependence has no chance of being corrected if the products that encourage this behaviour are sold without restriction.”

2. While the Catechism I cited in my earlier post noted that there is a difference between drugs used for medicinal purposes versus being taken recreationally, John Paul II contrasted social drinking with recreational drug use by saying, “It is true that there is a distinct difference between the use of drugs and the use of alcohol: while a moderate use of the latter as a drink does not offend moral principles, only its abuse can be condemned; instead, the use of drugs is always unlawful because it implies an unjustified and unreasonable renunciation of thinking, desiring and acting as a free person.” (Dolentium Hominum, 19, VII, 1992, n. 1)

If it is truly a morally neutral act to recreationally use marijuana as 4loves2god purports, then there needs to be guidance from the Church, correct?

I get it…breaking the law is a mortal sin when

1. A lawful authority makes a just, or good law
    (don’t go over 55mph)
  2. You meet the three requirements for mortal sin when
    a. Full knowledge (you know the limit is 55)
    b. Full consent of your will (no one is making you speed, there is no emergency, no one has carjacked you)
    c. Serious matter (you know it’s against the law to speed)

If you don’t meet the three conditions for mortal sin (a, b, and c) then you did not commit a mortal sin.

Personal opinion: Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. Should everyone smoke marijuana? No. Neither should everyone drink, nor smoke cigarettes. Can any or all be potentially abused? Yes, and doing so would be sinful. Use is not sinful, abuse is sinful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.