Is pre-marital sex really that bad?

I am a teenager going through college and have been a strong catholic all my life. Having several other strong catholic girlfriends, i have substainted from having sexual intercouse. Moving on from these relationships and breaking up, i now know that my previouse girlfriends are having sex now. This made me feel a little wierd, considering the fact that yes obviously i want to have sex, but i feel that it is wrong. I have been strongly raised that pre-marital sex is extreamly wrong, but i feel as if though more people do have pre-marital sex than not, so why don’t I? NOT TO SAY THAT THIS IS RIGHT, but i guess i am wondering if i can have sex and still end up going to heaven?
In other words is pre-marital sex a Mortal Sin(and if it is, would all those people who do it go to hell?) PLEASE ANSWER THIS IS A BIG DECISION IN MY LIFE!!!

Dear Questions15,

There are many, many normal young people like yourself who are also abstaining from sexual intercourse until they are married—and the number is growing. Jason Evert, one of our apologists, is constantly on the road, speaking in Catholic and Public high schools about being chaste and how it best prepares persons for the gift of themselves to their spouse one day.

To understand why pre-marital sex is so wrong one needs to understand why marital sex is so right. I would suggest that you get the book, “Good News About Sex and Marriage” by Christopher West, available through shopcatholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000.

This question is very close to what you are asking. The answer is from our Pure Love website:

Q. If you know you’re going to die, and you understand the consequences of sex, what’s wrong with sleeping with the person you love?

pureloveclub.com/chastity/index.php?id=7&entryid=297

Just click on “Home” for the main page. Write again if we can be of help.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.