Is Presumption a Venial or Mortal Sin In My Case? ( Please help me- Im going to confession soon)

The question is whether or not I was presumptuous as i was sinning- I know i was. I have researched and seen that is is usually a mortal sin. However, i am not sure of the full knowledge part that constitutes a mortal sin. I had the idea in the back of my mind that it was a sin from reading something a long time ago, but i was not fully aware of the extent of its seriousness until i went into deeper research . I feel terrible about it. Should i confess it as a mortal or venial sin?:confused p.s- there is a fear in me that i may actually be lying to myself and that i was actually fully aware that it was a mortal sin-what should i do about this fear?:frowning:

Go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and confess your sin with contrition. I dont know if your priest will judge it to me mortal or venial based on what you said.

Hi Lisette1,

When you go to confession, explain to the priest what happened. Try not to be afraid or confused. He will help guide you.

Just confess what happened and you won’t need to worry about it. There is no need to tell your confessor your opinion of whether something was mortal or venial sin.

Hmm, I didn’t know there was a different way to confess moral and venial sins. I generally just confess all the sins I can remember, never mind if they are mortal or venial. I try to confess the more serious sins first but that doesn’t always happen - I confess what I remember in the order I remembered it and made note of it on the list I bring in to confession. If I am truly worried about being in a state of mortal sin before approaching communion than I will refrain from receiving and make a spiritual communion instead.

I suggest you confess the sin of presumption, as well as the sin you committed upon presumption, especially as you knew it was wrong at the time.

Hmm…I was taught that you distinguish yourself between your mortal and venial sins in Confession, but based on your replies, you dont have to do it. Can someone further clarifie whether you must tell a priest if the sin is venial or mortal?

Yes, you do have to distinguish. Mortal sins MUST be confessed, in kind and number. To deliberately withhold a mortal sin is sacrilege, and your confession is invalid.

Venial sins do not have to be confessed at all, but it is always good practice to do so.

I have read more of presumption, and found out that part of it is expecting to go to heaven regardless of the grave sin you’ve just commited. It abuses God’s forgiveness. I never thought that as I sinned, and was actually expecting to go to hell. I was thinking “hopefully, my parents make the time to take me to confession tomorrow.”- is that presumptuous? If it is, would it still be a mortal sin or could it be a venial sin since I was certainly not expecting to go to heaven?

Also, I found out that presumption is also not being repentant and expecting to just be forgiven everytime- I did truly regret and feel awful about my sin.

I’d like more opinions please.

It is presumptuous to sin, expecting to be forgiven later in confession. Presumption is a sin against the first commandment. From the Catechism:
2092 There are two kinds of presumption. Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God’s almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit).

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

PRESUMPTION. The desire to undertake, or the actual undertaking of, what is above one’s capacity. It is a result of pride, which makes a person overestimate his abilities and blinds him to his deficiencies. It also leads one to expect graces from God without doing anything to obtain them, and even when acting the opposite, as when sinning, the person presumes that forgiveness is assured. (Etym. Latin praesumere, to suppose, take for granted.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.