Is Protestantism new-age?

I always heard of new age faiths that make faith seem so easy. From a Catholic perspective, Protestantism is very easy. Does the church make any rationale of this?

Thank you.

There is no rationale. There is the Truth which was the Truth from the begining and is the Truth today.

From there our prayers are with you!

However that said there are some very solid Christians who happen to follow Luther, Anglican, etc. So it really comes down to specifics in belief when we say Protestant today. But as of recent as the Protestant movement continues to splinter, we have many far reaching concepts of Theology. For example what John Wesley established as Methodist is nothing like His theology today in the Methodist congregation. So in some aspects we see a further stray from the Word, and also a closer continued adherence to it. Depends at who and where you look.

So we have to look at each particular aspect and understand.

The Church is not perfect, NONE are, along next to the Saints grow the Weeds as the Lord stated so clearly. Ever single church is subjected to lukewarm followers, sinners and those who strive to be Saints. Make no mistake about this.

Recent survey by the Catholic Church per population showed 49% believe in the real presence, 51% in the Lutheran Church. :shrug:

However make no mistake this is a reality in "ALL" the churchs for it is a Biblical Truth clearly explained in Matthews discourse. Howoever outside of the Eucharist and Living Presence the New Everlasting Covenant, which is the NT? Our prayers are with you.

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:280255"]
I always heard of new age faiths that make faith seem so easy. From a Catholic perspective, Protestantism is very easy. Does the church make any rationale of this?

Thank you.

[/quote]

No, in general New Age and Protestantism are not the same thing.

However, some individual Protestant groups might certainly have incorporated new age thought or new age practices into their faith.

Since each Protestant group is autonomous one cannot make a general statement about "Protestants" or "Protestantism". One must speak about individual groups.

Thank you.

[/quote]

As long as you follow Christ and the RCC doctrine you may be New Age the time you like......

Thank you.

[/quote]

First, define what you mean by "easy." There are many Protestant fundamentalist groups that place alot of requirements on their members. This was more common in the past, but there are still Protestant churches that regulate things such as television ownership, the music that one listens to, and the dress of their members.

In any case, the New Age movement is alot more than just being "easy." From Wikipedia, New Age is defined as:

Its central precepts have been described as "drawing on both Eastern and Western spiritual and metaphysical traditions and infusing them with influences from self-help and motivational psychology, holistic health, parapsychology, consciousness research and quantum physics".[2] It aims to create "a spirituality without borders or confining dogmas" that is inclusive and pluralistic.[3] It holds to "a holistic worldview,"[4] emphasising that the Mind, Body and Spirit are interrelated[1] and that there is a form of Monism and unity throughout the universe.[5]

While there are definitely very liberal mainline Protestants who would embrace the "spirituality without borders or confining dogmas" worldview and their are some evangelical Protestants that would embrace prosperity theology (which many scholars attribute to the influence of New Age beliefs), Protestantism itself has very little in common with New Age beliefs.

And keep in mind that the foundation of the New Age movement were only laid down around the 1800s. Protestantism emerged out of the 16th century Protestant Reformation.

Protestantism is not new-age. In new age there is a strong emotive subjectiveness that is lacking in Protestantism.
Maybe in an extremely large sense and uncorrectly the push to protenstantism could have been seen as new age but would be globally a deeply incorrect definition.
Of course this is my point of view.

From a Catholic perspective, Protestantism is very easy.

[/quote]

Depends on what kind of protestantism you're talking about. Roman Catholosism (did I even come close to spelling that right?) seems more easy to me.

[quote="Calgar, post:7, topic:280255"]
Depends on what kind of protestantism you're talking about. Roman Catholosism (did I even come close to spelling that right?) seems more easy to me.

[/quote]

I see your Baptist. I was a Baptist, but converted Saturday. Baptist may claim they are hard, but Catholicism makes it rough on you. :) Not for rules and regulations, but for morale and salvation.

But thank you all for your answers.

New Age is not the same as Protestantism at all. New age is by definitation a totally subjective theology. Historic Protestantism see the Bible as the objective revelation of God and cannot be seen as subjective at all. Also, New Age has a Eastern mystical view of God as a mystical force like Hinduism. Protestantism believes in the same Triune God that Catholics beleieve in. So, no they are not the same.

[quote="JD27076, post:8, topic:280255"]
Baptist may claim they are hard.

[/quote]

I've never made that claim, although I can see how you arrived at that conclusion.

7th day and holiness protestants are what I was talking about.

A Southern Baptist and a Roman Catholic could attend service just once a week and be considered "good". But we both, probably, know that most people don't even bother with church that much.

New-age is merely the "fad of the month" , hyped up by the latest popular entertainment figure or mass media types. Anyone who actually falls for that drivel-Catholic or Protestant puts their soul in danger.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.