Is Psalm139 a lie when you have a physical ailment?

Seeking council about a scriptural conflict in light of person's physical reality.

Psalm139;v13-14 (NAS)
For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,

If you were born into this world (or shortly after delivery you developed), any number of the physical 'anomolies' that plague our human existance, such as: spina bifada, color blindness, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile type-1 diabetes, deaf, etc., etc., ( there is a long list. And there are mental conditions as well, but I hope you get the gist of my examples).

How do you rationalize this conflict between being 'wonderously made', and yet live with a physical reality that would classify you as 'not-normal'; you're deformed, defective, broken ?
I acknowledge that you must carry your cross to follow Christ, and that a God given physical deformity (or ailment (arthritis)) could be that cross.

It is hard to justify that someone is 'wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works', when they suffer with some abnormality that they have been born with ( or developed through no fault of their own). It ain't good work!!; they're broken :confused:

And chocking it up to the results of 'The Fall', or 'generational sin', still seems to mock what Psalm 139 proclaims.
Your charitable council is so very appreciated.

Peace,
Luke2220

I have illnesses I was born with. I still think that Psalm 139 is true. God can accomplish His purposes through people who have disabilities.

I was born with ambliopia. After two eye operations in my early childhood, I’m now blind in my right eye. Yet I am wonderously made in the image of God, and Christ died on the cross for me as much as for anyone else.

My first child died of Leukemia at 4 1/2 years old. She was certainly wonderously made.

-Tim-

I was born with club foot, and about a year and a half ago I found out I had a detached retina in my left eye - I still see that Psalm as being 100% true!

You are made with an eternal soul, and made in the likeness of God. You are made to join in His love and to be in full communion with Him.

Any physical ailments (which will be perfected at the Second Coming) are secondary to this.

Who are we to say that these "abnormalities" or "deformities" or ailments take away or negate God's wishes of us??

[quote="Luke2220, post:1, topic:316291"]
Seeking council about a scriptural conflict in light of person's physical reality.

Psalm139;v13-14 (NAS)
For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,

If you were born into this world (or shortly after delivery you developed), any number of the physical 'anomolies' that plague our human existance, such as: spina bifada, color blindness, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile type-1 diabetes, deaf, etc., etc., ( there is a long list. And there are mental conditions as well, but I hope you get the gist of my examples).

How do you rationalize this conflict between being 'wonderously made', and yet live with a physical reality that would classify you as 'not-normal'; you're deformed, defective, broken ?
I acknowledge that you must carry your cross to follow Christ, and that a God given physical deformity (or ailment (arthritis)) could be that cross.

It is hard to justify that someone is 'wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works', when they suffer with some abnormality that they have been born with ( or developed through no fault of their own). It ain't good work!!; they're broken :confused:

And chocking it up to the results of 'The Fall', or 'generational sin', still seems to mock what Psalm 139 proclaims.
Your charitable council is so very appreciated.

Peace,
Luke2220

[/quote]

David had a very special relationship with G-d. We make people "not normal". In a g-dly world, there wouldn't be such a thing. Noone would be deformed or broken. Everyone would help each other, you wouldn't even have to ask for it. Being born with an abnormality would only mean that people cared for you in a different way.

A human being is a wondrous union of psyche and soma.

The fact that we are subject to the law of entropy does not change that, as the pneumatikon soma will redeem and restore the being to perfection.

ICXC NIKA

The psalm doesn’t say “made perfect”. It says “wonderfully made”.

People pay thousands of dollars for rough sketches by master artists. Frequently, these sketches would be headed to the recycle bin were it not for who drew them. They may not be “well made” (much less perfect) but they are deemed “wonderfully made” by those who collect them.

If God is the Master Artist, are not all of His works Wonderfully Made? How much more so any human person who is made in His Image. Even an “imperfect” one.

I don't think David was making a doctrinal statement that men are physically flawless. I think he was expressing awe at God's handiwork, which is evident even in our fallen state.

But why stop at physical defects? Spiritual "congenital diseases" such as original sin and concupiscence are far worse in their effects than any physical disease or deformity, and they are not limited to part of the population, but afflict every son of Adam (except our Lord and our Lady). Does this violate being "wonderfully made"? No, because the design of the human being transcends what man is in his fallen state, and it transcends what any individual experiences at a particular time. Even in our fallen state we still reflect our Creator. That, in itself, is fearful and wonderful.

I think we need to remember what the Psalms actually are. We cannot say there are a lie or true because they not applicable for that kind of response. We can take comfort from the ones that say something to us in that time of need or rejoice with the psalm when on the up. But to state it a lie is not really knowing enough what it is actually about. Psalms aren't about what factually happend. :)

If you have a physical ailment and are feeling bad about it then read Psalm 23 if you need comfort because it can help us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.