Is putting myself in the best light the sin of pride?

If I do or say something to make myself look good, in order to boost my reputation, am I committing the sin of pride?

For example, if I boast about how much money I give to charity, or even indicate it in a more subtle manner, so that others may think I’m a holy and generous person, or so that I may increase in some other way in their estimation, that would be pride, yes?

I don’t do anything as vulgar as boast about almsgiving, but in countless small ways throughout the day I try to put myself in the best light possible to gain the admiration or approval of others.

In doing an examination of conscience this morning, this little monster popped up and now my mind is flooded with a million tiny examples of it.

UGH! If it is a sin, I’m screwed, because it’s so insidious and seems so deeply ingrained in my character I don’t know how I’ll ever extricate myself from it!!!

Yes I think the way you describe it, seems like pride and your not being humble. You want people to praise you because of what you are doing, and I think that’s missing the point. I think even in scripture it says that if you boast about e.g. fast, than your reward has already been received. You shouldn’t say things to boast yourself, but only for the glory of God and others. Don’t put yourself in a place to be worshiped, this is evil thinking.

Often I tell people about my fasting, lent, etc. not so that they think I am holy, because I am a great sinner, but rather, to inspire them or get them interested in the faith. If they praise me or say wow your such a good person, I feel bad about it and bow my head in shame.

God bless!

One more thing, you should strive to get the approval of God, rather than people here on earth :slight_smile:

God bless!

I’ll bet what you think is subtle isn’t very and that others recognize what you are doing, especially if you do it frequently. I don’t think you are “screwed”, especially since you recognize this unhealthy tendency, but it is certainly something you would want to speak to your confessor about and also to be aware of in future, so you can stop yourself. The virtue of humility can be cultivated. Next time you’re tempted to laud yourself, say something about someone else’s good qualities instead of yourself. God bless you.

As spoken by Jesus: “Be sure that you not do your charitable deeds before men to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Therefore, when you do your charitable deeds, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do your charitable deeds, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deeds may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭1-4‬ MEV)
This isn’t to say, though, that you shouldn’t encourage others to do good deeds; just don’t be too boasty about it. God bless!

Here are two prayers that have helped me get things more in perspective – easy to say the words, but super hard the first time I tried to mean it when I said them. :blush:

Lord, let me be beautiful to those who need to see me as beautiful,
and repulsive to those who need to see me as repulsive,
according to your holy will.
My reputation is in your hands, and I freely give it to you without reservation.

Litany of Humility
O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled …
From the desire of being honored …
From the desire of being praised …
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted …
From the desire of being approved …
From the fear of being humiliated …
From the fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes …
From the fear of being calumniated …
From the fear of being forgotten …
From the fear of being ridiculed …
From the fear of being wronged …
From the fear of being suspected …

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I …
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease …
That others may be chosen and I set aside …
That others may be praised and I unnoticed …
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

I find it really difficult to rid myself of pride. I did condemn it, and I do not feel it overwhelming me the way it did in the past, but now I find myself with very subtle pride that is hard for me to notice.

LOL. It is ok. I think maybe more vanity, than pride. Pray about it.

In answer to the thread question - not necessarily.

If for instance you are questioned at a job interview, while it is incumbent to speak truthfully, it seems reasonable to answer questions in a way that puts you in ‘the best light’.

One way to get rid of a sin that’s deeply ingrained is frequent confession. In fact, it’s probably the easiest way to get rid of it. It won’t happen overnight, may even take years, but it will happen eventually if you keep confessing it. Remember, we don’t receive only forgiveness for our sins in the Sacrament of Penance but also grace to help us keep from sinning again.

God bless you on your journey!

Well, if you are writing a resume or applying for a job, you should know how to put yourself in the best light, emphasizing your strengths, without being prideful about it.

I once interviewed a woman for an administrative assistant position in our office.

She is a devout Christian. As I asked her about her experience and skills, practically every answer she gave me started with an apology that she might seem prideful in her answer.

Definitely not the best time to worry about being prideful. I didn’t hire her for a couple reasons, and that preoccupation was one of them. :shrug:

Alternatively, I know what the problem is, you are seeking
your own honor, and that is not necessarily a sin, but you are
not living in TRUTH. Jesus said: “He who seeks the honor of
Him who sent him is a man of truth” John 7:18
If we follow Jesus, we must seek to honor HIM and not our-
selves!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.