Is "Religion News Service" anti-Catholic?

Hello everyone. I get Google alerts about various news subjects. Many of those subjects are related to religion. Anyway, in one of the news alerts, there was a link to a news site called “Religion News Service”. Religion News Service claims to be “The only secular news and photo service devoted to unbiased coverage of religion and ethics—exclusively.” That is a direct quote from the banner at the top of their home page.

That said, I came across this commentary thing called “David Gibson: Sacred and Profane”. It seems to be very anti-Catholic in nature. I read two of the commentaries in there and they both seemed to be quite anti-Catholic in nature to me.

This is what Religion News Service says about David Gibson: “David Gibson is an award-winning religion journalist, author and filmmaker. He writes for Religion News Service and until recently covered the religion beat for AOL’s Politics Daily. He blogs at Commonweal magazine, and has written two books on Catholic topics, the latest a biography of Pope Benedict XVI.”. Well, I am kind of worried if he has written two books on Catholic topics which includes one biography on Pope Benedict XVI because he appears to be very anti-Catholic and as such these books are probably very anti-Catholic in nature as well.

Here are links to two of his commentaries for reference:

religionnews.com/index.php?/gibson/2011/12/cardinal_warns_gay_pride_parade_could_be_like_kkk_rally/

religionnews.com/index.php?/gibson/2011/12/how_is_pope_benedict_xvi_like_an_aids_victim/

And here is the link to the Religion News Service home page: religionnews.com/index.php

So if anyone could please take a look at the site and let me know if it is anti-Catholic in nature or not, I would appreciate it. I will not look at this site in the future if it is anti-Catholic. There are two reasons for that: First, I don’t like anti-Catholic sites. Second, if they claim to be unbiased and yet are anti-Catholic then they are lying and I don’t patronize sites that lie.

Thank you very much.

The fact that he writes for Commonweal suggests that he is Catholic, but may be critical of Church leadership.

Here is the mini-biography listed on the website of his book publisher:

David Gibson is an award-winning religion writer and a committed lay Catholic. He writes about Catholicism for various newspapers and magazines, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, New York magazine, Boston magazine, Fortune, Commonweal, and America. He was the religion writer for the The Star-Ledger of New Jersey. Gibson has worked in Rome for Vatican Radio and traveled frequently with Pope John Paul II. He has co-written several recent documentaries on Christianity for CNN.

harpercollins.com/authors/25464/David_Gibson/index.aspx

Hmmm, I figured as much. So he’s an anti-Catholic Catholic? Isn’t that somewhat of a contradiction? :rolleyes:

Not these days. :frowning:

Being critical of Church leadership does not make you “anti-Catholic”.

Just so. There are a number of bishops whose hands are all over the abuse scandal cover-up who deserve a lot of criticism, and more.

Unfortunately you’re right. :frowning:

I think it does if you are critical of all Church leadership.

Very true Tarpeian. But I would not say you are anti-Catholic. That’s because you’re not critical of all Church leadership.

Hello everyone, and Merry Christmas! I just came across this thread and as the author of the blog posts cited in the original posting I wanted to weigh in…I would of course reject any suggestion that I am anti-Catholic, if only for the simple reason that I am a practicing Catholic myself – and a convert, no less. (And after having worked at the Vatican for several years during the pontificate of John Paul II – go figure, as they say. You can read more of my bio here: dgibson.com/site/bio.html)

In any case, I’m sure some of my blog posts would seem or will be critical of elements of church leadership – and of laity and the rest – but in the main I don’t think that’s the case. Take a look at all of my postings over the past months and I think you’ll see there are plenty that are as complimentary as are critical.

Above all, the postings originally cited are from a blog, and reflect my own musings or discoveries on the web. They don’t reflect Religion News Service as a whole, and we are developing a stable of bloggers with viewpoints that cover the spectrum. My postings tend to highlight debates that are already buzzing around the Internet. Cardinal George’s comment on the KKK and the gay rights movement have been the source of much more extensive commentary elsewhere.

Thanks again for this discussion, and Merry Christmas to all, and have a great New Year.

David Gibson

Hello David Gibson. I do apologize if I was too critical of your blog post. But since you are here, I wanted to ask you some questions:

What is your view on the liberal “gay rights” movement?

What is your view on “gay marriage”?

What is your view on abortion?

What is your view on embryonic stem cell research?

What is your view on euthanasia or assisted suicide?

What is your view on using condoms to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS?

What is your view on birth control or contraception in general?

And finally, what is your view on human cloning?

Thanks!

Hello David Gibson. If you are still around, would you please answer my questions? I would appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Holly, if you look at his profile, he has not been back on this site since he posted on December 27. I doubt he will be back. I don’t know who he is, nor have I read his blog, but I suspect if you want the answers to those questions you will find them within the contents of his blog posts.

“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!”

Thanks Juno. I am not that interested in finding out. I may go back to the blog and read more or I may not. I am not sure if I want to risk being deceived by unorthodox theology. If I do go back and read more of his blog, I will pray for discernment so that I do not become deceived by any unorthodox theology.

What is this supposed to mean? I am not an inquisitor and I wouldn’t want to be one. I am definitely not knowledgeable enough in Catholic teaching to be any such thing anyway. That said, I asked him these questions because I wanted to know if he is an orthodox Catholic or a dissenting Catholic. That’s all. The reason I want to know is because I refuse to read a blog about Catholicism that is written by a dissenter as such blogs are almost never accurate when writing about Catholicism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.