Is repeating prayer intentions kinda insulting to God?

Hey so first off I wanna say I'm getting a lot better with my repeating prayers in the rosary thanks to the kick in the pants I got from some of you. I'm truly very grateful. :yup:

But I'm still having some trouble with repeating prayer intentions. I am doing them A LOT LESS now but still repeating some.

I'm just wondering if repeating those intentions over and over again is kinda insulting to God and all His abilities?

I kinda feel like it is. Like, to put it into perspective, if a friend wanted to ask me something and they said it super slow or somewhat louder, "to make sure I heard." I'd be somewhat insulted since I could have heard them just once spoken normally. Or if they just kept asking me the same thing over and over just to make sure I heard them or that they said it OK. I'd feel kinda annoyed that they kept saying the same thing. I'd also be kinda insulted that even if they mumbled, missed a word, whatever; that they thought I couldn't/wouldn't know what they wanted/said.

Am I right to feel that way? That it's kinda an insult to God to repeat no matter how bad it was said/not said?

Please get some help for your compulsive behaviors. This really isn't going to get better with you posting here frequently with various scenarios about compulsive repetition in some aspect or another.

This is something that needs professional help.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:349906"]
Please get some help for your compulsive behaviors. This really isn't going to get better with you posting here frequently with various scenarios about compulsive repetition in some aspect or another.

This is something that needs professional help.

[/quote]

Well, I actually think it is getting better by posting on here. A LOT better. :) After getting affirmation that what I was doing was scrupulous I've REALLY cut down in just a few days.

Now I'll only repeat an actual rosary prayer if I completly loose focus when I'm praying. Like if my mind wanders to a TV Show or what I have to to do the next day, etc. I think it's OK to repeat it then; just to get my mind back on track.

I'm just still having some anixety about the prayer intentions. Like I said I'm repeating them WAY LESS then before, down at least 60%.

But I just thinking that if it was kinda insulting to God, then I could just use that as a reason to never repeat. Just tell myself "that's being kinda insulting to God." and just stop it right there.

P.S. I'm not totally opposed to therapy or whatever but it's not like I can get an appointment today or even within the week. That's why I'm looking for reassurance and help on here. :)

I hope not, because I consistently pray to win the lottery, but funny, it never seems to happen, even though if I did, It would help ALOT of other people, as I would help out many different charities and organizations.

Strangely though, most of the stories of people that Ive seen of people who have won a major lottery have been anything but helpful to others LOL. I wonder why God doesnt let more charitable people win these things...unless he has no hand in such things?

Hi kindascrupulous,

I am so sorry that you are struggling with being scrupulous. As others have mentioned, you should go and see your pastor. Your pastor can help you with this.

You shouldn't have to worry about repeating any prayers in your rosary--like when you get distracted, or like when you feel like you make a mistake. Just keep moving along when you pray it. God hears you, dear one, no matter what. Don't worry about being perfect.

[quote="kindascrupulous, post:1, topic:349906"]
Hey so first off I wanna say I'm getting a lot better with my repeating prayers in the rosary thanks to the kick in the pants I got from some of you. I'm truly very grateful. :yup:

But I'm still having some trouble with repeating prayer intentions. I am doing them A LOT LESS now but still repeating some.

I'm just wondering if repeating those intentions over and over again is kinda insulting to God and all His abilities?

I kinda feel like it is. Like, to put it into perspective, if a friend wanted to ask me something and they said it super slow or somewhat louder, "to make sure I heard." I'd be somewhat insulted since I could have heard them just once spoken normally. Or if they just kept asking me the same thing over and over just to make sure I heard them or that they said it OK. I'd feel kinda annoyed that they kept saying the same thing. I'd also be kinda insulted that even if they mumbled, missed a word, whatever; that they thought I couldn't/wouldn't know what they wanted/said.

Am I right to feel that way? That it's kinda an insult to God to repeat no matter how bad it was said/not said?

[/quote]

You should get onto the Vatican Radio site and try and read Pope Francis' homilies regularly. I think you would benefit greatly from his direct words. He addressed this very topic of prayer on 6th December. Here is a summary of that homily...

Ask and insist, without the fear to annoy, because a Christian is sure that God listens to him. That was the main idea behind Pope Francis' homily on Friday at Casa Santa Marta.

POPE FRANCIS
"He can do it. When or how He will do it, we won't know. That is the reassurance of prayer. The need to say, truthfully, to the Lord: 'I am blind, Lord. I am in need. I have this sickness, I committed this sin, I have this pain.' But always with truth. Let us think if our prayer has need, and if it's sure. Need, because we say the truth ourselves, and security, because we believe the Lord can do what we ask of him.”

The Pope cited as an exampled the people who throughout the Gospel asked Jesus for help, and they received it. They, he said, never gave up, and they trusted in Him.

SUMMARY OF THE POPE'S CATECHESIS
Source: Vatican Radio

Pope Francis spoke on the theme of prayer on Friday, saying when we pray it’s a bit like annoying God so that he listens to us. His remarks came during his homily at the morning mass in the Santa Marta guesthouse.

Speaking at Mass, Pope Francis said "prayer has two attitudes: it’s needy and at the same time it’s certain of the fact that God, in his own way and his own time, will answer our need." A person who prays, he continued, **"doesn’t fear disturbing God and nourishes a blind faith in His love." **The Pope recalled how Jesus himself taught us to pray like the annoying friend who begs for food at midnight or like the widow with the corrupt judge. Another example he quoted was the gospel account of how the lepers approached Jesus, saying to him, "if you want, you can cure us.”

"Maybe this sounds strange,” the Pope said, "but praying is a bit like annoying God so that he listens to us. He stressed the importance of praying with insistence and not giving up after the first few attempts. "Jesus said "ask” but he also said to us, "Knock at the door” and he or she who knocks at the door makes a noise, disturbs or annoys.”

Therefore, Pope Francis continued, "prayer is insisting to the point of annoyance but also with an unshakeable certainty.” Just like the blind people in the Gospel who asked Jesus to be healed and when he asked them if they believed he could cure them, they assured him they did. The Pope concluding by saying that Jesus feels our need when we pray and also feels that we are certain of his help and that we’re speaking the truth about ourselves.

God Bless.

Repeating prayer intentions because you don't think you said them well enough or clearly enough or not worded just right is a bit insulting as you are assuming God cannot read your heart and hear what you meant to say. To do so would be scrupulous and you should get help for the problem.

Now, I haven't read your other posts but in general, repeating prayer intentions is not insulting. Ponder Luke Chapter 18:1-8:

Then he told them a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary. He said, "There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being. And a widow in that town used to come to him and say, 'Render a just decision for me against my adversary.' For a long time the judge was unwilling, but eventually he thought, 'While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being, because this widow keeps bothering me I shall deliver a just decision for her lest she finally come and strike me.'" The Lord said, "Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says. Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"

Please take the advise of the Forum Elder 1ke. God bless.

Kindascrupulous, you have gotten excellent advice by respondants to your scribes on this and other Catholic Answer threads. I strongly advise that you heed them.
It has often been said that a Doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient. I don't think you are any different.
No intenet site -no matter how fully it is populated with clerics, psychologists, or other experts can cure anyone of scrupulosity, because it is a psychological ailment that is also a disease of ones soul; and, like the Church's requirement that Confession be face to face and not over the telephone or internet, this sickness must be dealt with by a priest and a psychologist on a face-to-face basis. You are just kidding yourself by resorting to the internet and, quite frankly, by ignoring the advise of well meaning, knowledgable people, you are wasting their time.
I don't know how old you are, but something tells me you are in your teens or early 20's. I strongly hope, for your sake, that you show some maturity and make an appointment to see a priest very soon. Any reason not to, like I don't live near a Rectory, is a simple cop out!

[quote="kindascrupulous, post:1, topic:349906"]

[/quote]

Seems a lot of people want to address your emotional state rather than answering your question.

There is nothing wrong with repeating prayers or intention. St. Paul told us to pray without ceasing.

Prayerfully read and reflect on Luke 18:1-8, and the parable will show you that you have not insulted God!

[quote="LongingSoul, post:6, topic:349906"]
You should get onto the Vatican Radio site and try and read Pope Francis' homilies regularly. I think you would benefit greatly from his direct words. He addressed this very topic of prayer on 6th December. Here is a summary of that homily...

God Bless.

[/quote]

I agree! :thumbsup:

No, No, No! You are not insulting God by repeating prayer intentions. Just understand that God knows what is best for you on your journey to be with Him in heaven. He will not always give you what you want but that is fine, God knows what is best.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.