Is REV 12:1 (woman with 12 stars) validation of Marian apparitions?

Revelation 12:1 states:

“And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars;”

The messages of Fatima (and others) have Mary pronouncing end-times-like events. And when we look at the book of revelation (an end-times book), there she appears. Admittedly, the above Bible verse when taken in context seems to be a narrative of the birth of Jesus …however it is a significant description of Mary and appears in none other than the book of revelation.

This unusual description would appear to give a higher significance to Mary than simply being the Mother of Jesus (as Protestants view her).

Is this Bible verse biblical validation for Marian apparitions? Especially as alot of the apparitions describe Mary as having a crown of 12 stars (like in the yet unverified Garabandal apparitions)? Is this a verse we should be showing more frequently to our Protestant friends?

I’ve always believed that verse to refer to Mary, but protestant commentators have a different view. I’ve heard that the woman in fact represents Israel or the church for instance.

As Catholics we know that this verse does indeed refer to Mary. This is in essence a Marian apparition. But I don’t think that this necessarily validates any particular Marian apparition in post-Biblical times. Only the concept of Marian apparition in general.

If it hasn’t been approved by the Church I pay little attention to it. We are not allowed to promote any unapproved apparitions on these forums !! There have been very “few” Marian apparitions that have been approved by the Church. Fatima is the one that was meant as a serious warning for what was coming onto the world in our day. What do you know, seems Our Lady knew exactly what she was talking about. She was sent by Her God and our God, so we would do well to learn about the message of the Fatima Apparitions and “do as She tells us”. Check with the World Apostolate of Fatima, Blue Army. God Bless, Memaw

No.

The vision of Revelation (whether we take it as a literal vision or as “merely” apocalyptic literature; both positions can be legitimately held) took place during the apostolic period and committed to Scripture. This makes it public revelation and binding on the faithful.

Any apparitions that take place after the close of the apostolic period do not constitute any contribution to the deposit of faith and bind no one, even if approved by the Church.

But that doesn’t mean we should not pay attention to the Apparitions the Catholic Church has carefully studied and found to be “Worthy of Belief.” Such as Lourdes, Fatima, Guadalupe, Sacred Heart, Divine Mercy etc. The Church is distinguishing between Public Divine Revelation, given to the Apostles, (which we are bound by serious sin to believe as Catholics) and Private Revelation. But that doesn’t mean we should ignore or dismiss God reaching us through other Church approved means. That would be very foolish. I am afraid we have not taken Our Lady of Fatima seriously enough and are now paying the consequences. Maybe it’s time we start to “Do as She told us !!” Then we will see the "Triumph of Her Immaculate Heart. "God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.