Is revenge wrong?

I was watching the news with some people I know and there was a story about a man who got really drunk, and then got in his car, and hit a bunch of people, two of whom died :frowning:

the people I was watching the news with, started saying how it’s sad that the pedestrians died, but not the man.

that felt really wrong to me, because …well yes he did something wrong, but surely it’s worse if 3 people die than 2… and who knows, maybe if he had died at that time, he would have gone to hell, so perhaps God had mercy on him and gave him a chance to repent… so we should pray for his conversion…

but when I said some of this out loud, the people got really mad at me, and started saying how if my kid got hit by a car, I’d want revenge too.

I’m sure it would be completely devastating to lose a child… but Christ also told us to love our enemies and to pray for those who have hurt us, even though that is of course VERY difficult at times… I don’t believe that revenge is something that God agrees with…

sadly I then started feeling really impatient, got into an argument, and I’m afraid I wasn’t a very good witness for the faith :frowning: I pray that God would forgive me for this, I definitely messed up…

but what do you think…? is it wrong to wish death on someone cause they did something wrong?

I think that we shouldn’t, but rather we should pray that they’d repent and come back to God… and not go to hell… I mean, hell is an eternity of torture… that is horrible :frowning:

I feel kind of lost about this…

your right revenge is wrong, as Jesus said at the sermon on the mountain top, if we strike thouse who strike us then we will be no more worthy of paradise than they are.

You were in the right, 4EverHis.

(Hebrews 10:30 RSV) For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.”

(Romans 12:19 RSV) Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Dear friends

Revenge is a sin, but justice is a virtue. We are entitled to justice for ourselves and not the guys on Tv though.

God bless :thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.