Is salvation only by God's grace?

I caught the tail end of a discussion on Immaculate Heart Radio that said it is not through man’s good works that he can be saved but by God’s Grace. Whether I got that correctly or not, I need some clarification.

If I’m allowed another question, all my three children have fallen away from the Church. They’re good people, just not practicing their faith. Is it my position to try and get them back because any topic regarding religion drives them away. Two have been married sacramentally and have since been divorced. Recently the youngest one got married outside the church, literally (foot of Mt. Shasta) and officiated by a female minister. Heartbreaking for us parents.

Thank you very much.

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Is baptism necessary for salvation?
*]Born Again - The Bible Way
*]Are Catholics Born Again?
*]Assurance of Salvation?
*]Grace: What It Is and What It Does

*]Help…my children have left the Church…
*]What do I do with a 14-year-old who has lost her faith?/
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.