Is Satan omnipotent?

I read this on a Facebook post:

“What’s the old line from Flip Wilson? “The Devil made me do it.” The last I heard, Satan is an angel, not omnipotent or all knowing. People need to start realizing that most sin and stupidity is self induced.”

Is this true?? Didn’t Satan tempt Adam and Eve? …and Jesus? Was sinning a result of Satan or the person being tempted?? Adam and Eve gave in to Satan’s temptation; Jesus did not.

Satan is not omnipotent. Omnipotent means all powerful. Satan, like all angels, is not all powerful.

The person is correct that the devil cannot make us do anything. He can tempt us, make sin appear attractive, try to trick us but he cannot force us to sin. And as human beings with a fallen nature, we can do our own selves in with our stupidity, pride and greed.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God’s reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but “we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.