Is Satan Really the Ruler of this World?

As Jesus said. Did he mean that God does not rule this world? What did he mean exactly. Or is it because we are citizens of heaven stuck in this world, still how can God not be the ruler since he created this world? :confused:

I know what you mean. It’s like the natural world is so beautiful, so perfect: the trees in the wind, the stars, the flowers the birds - surely God in the world! But look around you at this man-made world - full of wars, pollution, hatred and crime… that is what Satan rules - the fallen world of sinful man.

Does that mean he has control over us? Or just over those who commit sin willingly?

What does a ruler do? The ruler attempts to enforce his will on his subjects. He has strength and power to do things to you. So he is the ruler of this world in that he exerts his energies in this world to get you to do evil. He has no power in the next world.

St. Michael the archangel, defend us in battle, be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray. And do you O prince of the heavenly power, by the power of God, thrust into hell satan and all the other evil spirits, who go about the world seeking the destruction of souls. Amen.

May God protect always.

I don’t see how Satan can have control over us since we do have free will, which is bestowed upon us by the grace of G-d. Some influence perhaps, but certainly not control.

Of course God is God but He is not dictator of the world. He gives us the choice between
Him and not Him, between good and evil, between life and death. We must choose Him and bring about the kingdom of God by proclaiming His name, living in Charity and piece by piece, thwart Satan’s dominion.

In short, NO. God gives us free will.
Those who close to do evil follow the wrong path. God has the world in the palm of His hand.
Don’t succumb to the trend of believing all is hopeless.
This is exactly what the prince of lies desires. Despair for mankind. Giving up on God.
NO. Resist this will all you have.
Read the Gospels, and be faithful.

I know he doesn’t have conrol over us, and that we have free will. But to call him ruler of this world kinda implies that he had dominion and power over this world.

I think what the you guys are saying that he has the power to lie and our own wrong choices feeds that power, thats how he brings destruction upon this world.

I know I’m about to kinda change the subject but I have to ask this, does Demons use humans to commit evil, like possess them and make them do evil things like terrorist for example, or is that just free will?

It’s both.
To kill, is to separate yourself from God mortally.
To want to kill, in some kind of misguided thought process (as in thinking you’re fighting a holy war) is certainly free will.
The prince of lies can certainly inspire both. He desires to hurt God, to remove us from grace. So it’s a “win” for him, either way.

If he was the ruler, we wouldn’t be sitting here talking about it.

Sure we would, and especially on social media. Why do you think despots dictators and regimes like Syria, China, N. Korea go after cell towers and imprison people for what’s on their cell phone. The world is being told of Satan’s hold on many peoples and the murderous rages persecuting many who proclaim the name of Jesus show who is the ruler of this world.

But Jesus promised that the Spirit would guide us as we preach the Gospel to all corners of the world. Paul told us: Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
and Romans 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate
and Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on them …

I think that Satan is ruler of this world since the Fall, but we are @not of this world".

God bless,

Nozzer
:signofcross:

The more you turn to God, the less power Satan has over you. But look how Godless this world is. It is becoming more and more secular everyday and governments are firmly behind the secularization of the world. That means that Satan has a LOT of control over the world, and he always has. Look how evil the world is - with it’s wars, the rich taking all the money from the poor, the sexual perversions, the contempt for human life whether it be an unborn child, an old person or just a poor person.

Yes I think Satan rules this world, but we still can turn firmly away from him and pray to God and for the intercession of the saints, and follow Christ always. This is our armor to fight the powers of darkness!

Satan likely has alot of influence in Goverments, I have a feeling there is much more going on than the regular citizens are aware of, I think collusion to some degree is going on, but its being ‘presented’ to the public in a good hearted light, sort of leading us in a certain direction, slow and methodical.

I think our Goverment leaders know ALOT more than we think.

Very well said. All we can do is trust in God and pray for this world.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.