Is Saying 'This Mass has ended' mandatory

At the end of Mass, must 'This Mass has ended' be said...because our Priest never says it...

Always something like 'Let us go in peace to serve the Lord'....reply "Thanks be to God"

No. There are a few different dismissal's that may be used and "go in peace..." is one of them. It is up to the Priest to decide which to use.

[quote="TheDoctor, post:2, topic:308225"]
No. There are a few different dismissal's that may be used and "go in peace..." is one of them. It is up to the Priest to decide which to use.

[/quote]

Oh Ok. Thanks. I was aware there were different sayings, but I thought they always came after "This Mass has ended."

[quote="dnar, post:1, topic:308225"]
At the end of Mass, must 'This Mass has ended' be said...because our Priest never says it...

Always something like 'Let us go in peace to serve the Lord'....reply "Thanks be to God"

[/quote]

The one you mention, "let us go in peace..." is one of the old translation lines. The newly translated Missal is more direct, as it should be.

Go forth, the Mass is ended.

Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord.

Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.

Go in peace.

Those are the new translations of the proper concluding rite “final sending”.

It should resemble the Latin “Ite Missa Este”, or “go you are sent!” Each Mass is the order of the diocesan bishop and it is his words saying you are sent. The final sending as some call it shall resemble this truth. It is by his authority I as deacon proclaim this mission, "Ite missa este!"

It is typical for Protestant services to end with some form of "Go in peace....", but I've never heard anything to indicate that failing to do so in a low church service is problematic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.