Is Scientology a religion, philosophy or a cult?

I know my answer…what’s yours?

Cult

Cult. This might be better as a poll.

What ever it is, it sure attracts celebrities just like kabbalah. Are the rich and famous searching for happiness in a world that’s probably more lonely than we think?

Cult

It is attractive to them because you can buy your way up.

Agreed on both counts!

A cult, founded by a writer who IMO, had less talent in his whole body than Ray Bradbury (God bless his soul) routinely shed with toenail clippings.

I believe Scientology to be a dangerous. What are your thoughts?

Done.

:clapping::bowdown::sad_yes:

Amen.

It’s both a cult and a scam. Started by a hack sci-fi writer in order to make money. If you think about it, it’s pretty funny that anyone really believed the junk Ron Hubbard made up.

It could be considered a religion, philosophy or cult, I guess. However, I’d characterize it as a scam. Honestly, L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction novelist, and this is his greatest (and most profitable) fictional work.

The distinction between religion and cult is quite nuanced, however it doesn’t seem to have much of a moral philosophy so I’d say it isn’t a philosophy, and I’ll lean toward cult.

Yes, Yes, & Yes Glad Katie Holmes got out of it.

All three, mainly the last one.

It’s a business.

I consider it a complete joke, played on generally not-too-bright, insecure, gullible folks who think it’s cool. Those “celebrities” who are taken in are easily flattered and easily parted from their money.

Anyone who subscribes to this baloney (have you read about their belief in “body thetans”?) needs his head examined, IMHO (and not in an “auditing” session!)

None of the above. It’s a business. It’s all about money.

Alan Black, Professor of Sociology at the University of New England in Australia, argues that Scientology meets the major criteria of a religion. I don’t know enough about Scientology to offer my own opinion but Black’s study seems reasonable to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.