Is self love bad?

I believe you can’t have both. I believe self love doesn’t allow for the love of others as by definition it’s directed toward the self, it promises you much but actually delivers nothing.

However pure love (the love of Christ) does, as I believe pure love is recieved and given, it’s never derived from the self.

He who has God Finds he lacks nothing; God alone suffices. - St. Teresa of Avila

‘Pure love, Recieved from God Himself’ the soul no longer needs to derive it from anywhere but God himself, where he always has recourse to it and in abundance.

We love because He first loved us. - 1 John 4:19

‘Love shared with others, because we have first recieved it’

You received without paying, now give without being paid. - Matthew 10:8

Jesus to St. Faustina
"I am Love and Mercy itself. When a soul approaches Me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls" (1074).

I think it’s crucial to be loved (No one can live only on food. People need every word that God has spoken. - Matthew 4:4). We need the love and mercy of God. I believe mankind cannot live without it.

Jesus to St. Faustina
“Mankind will not have peace until it turns with trust to My mercy.” (Diary, p.300)

I believe love is a relationship, of giving and recieving, and thus self love sever’s this relationship and thus delivers no love at all.

Thus -

*“self-love is the most deceitful of all enemies.” *- St. Alphonsus

Also, if you get a chance to read through my public message wall here, I believe it may also help you. :slight_smile:

I also believe that spiritual reading, such as the Diary of St Faustina, the Gospels etc are the key, because if we don’t know God then we won’t know, nor have recourse to, His love and mercy for us.

p.s. Also, when I say ‘God’ I mean more specifically Jesus, who we believe is God (the trinity, one with the father). :slight_smile:

I hope I have helped, please feel free to reply/refute anything I have said.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Like I said earlier, much comes down to one’s own interpretation on the meaning ,

I think it depends. Self love is important and self respect is a must (remember we are temple of the holy spirit and gid wants us to respect ourselves because our body is his temple) but it has to be a self love due to knowing that you are the child of God and God loves you. If god loves you why are you going to hate yourself? But at the same time we love ourselves we have to be humble. We love ourselves but we have to love Christ more than is and we have to understand that we are not better than anyone else and that we are imperfect human beings and we need to better ourselves everyday. If we love ourselves because chirst loves us and because we are his temple is good. But if we have a selfish love in which we think we are god that we don’t need god and we are better than others, then that is not good.

OP, do not confuse self-love with self-respect. God calls us all to have self-respect, but NEVER self-love. If Jesus had the faintest trace of self-love, He wouldn’t suffer so much as he did for sinners.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.