Is sex ultimately bad but just tolerated with conditions in this world?

According to Catholic teachings, sex is only allowed (not a sin) with some strict conditions: being within marriage, no contraception, etc. And, sex without fulfilling these conditions is usually a mortal sin. By contrast, many other things are often considered only inappropriate or venial sins, such as eating too much and being lazy (well, to make eating too much a mortal sin, you may need to eat so much that you come into a life danger). And, now, technology can produce sweetness without sugar (for example, zero sugar cola) for people who want to enjoy sweetness without gaining much weight, and this is not sinful at all, although this also seems to be contrary to the goal of sweetness. By contrast, the reason why masturbation and contraception are sinful and are usually mortal sins is purportedly that they are contrary to the goal of sex.

Besides, Catholics who are in celibacy for their whole lives are often given more admiration and praise. For example, if a Catholic saint is a virgin, then the fact that he or she is a virgin is often specially mentioned, seeming to make the saint more praiseworthy. By contrast, if the saint is just on a diet for the whole life, he or she is unlikely to be specially praised for that.

These facts lead me to wonder: Is sex ultimately bad, but just tolerated with specific conditions in this world? Is this the ultimate reason why sex is restricted strictly?

I hear that (perhaps from St. Faustina’s vision, but I’m not sure) if there is no original sin, then there will be no sex, and humans will reproduce in some other way. So, perhaps sex does not correspond to God’s plan at the beginning, but is just tolerated after the fall, somewhat like polygamy in the Old Testament?

Any ideas?

Sex has a special place and purpose and to distort it is bad. Food and gluttony have a different goal and purpose so it kind of is apples to oranges.

The Catholic Church is SEROUISLY REMOVED from reality when it gets to this!!!

How exactly? The expectations are quite reasonable.

I am! And a very funny meme.

Yet care to go further?

I would except that you have no intention of listening as evidenced by your profile:

“Studied the Catechism in full, please don’t refer me to it, I know what it says.”

You stated your opinion. I said that you’re wrong. You want me to elaborate and I used your own words against you.

Don’t post unless you want feedback.

Yup! That is my profile! As intended! Also glad you read it! Thank you!

Do you have anything more to offer???

Go read the Catechism. :+1:

Me too! :wink:

Hi. It seems that the vision I mentioned is of Anne Catherine Emmerich, not of St. Faustina. But, again, I’m not sure for this.

I am conflicted here when it comes to sexual ethics. Yes, sex is sacred, sex is holy, sex is meant to be enjoyed within the sanctity of marriage, AND without contraceptives. But what about affection while dating? I can understand and see why some people are frustrated on the Church’s stance when it comes to sexual ethics. Especially in light of the recent sex abuse scandals, some see the Church as being hypocritical. Sadly we are all human and imperfect.

Now, one of my female friends left the Catholic Church because she strongly disagreed with its sexual ethics policies. Feeling they lacked “common sense”. She said to me “the Church says sex is for procreation, but what if one is sterile and unable to have children? Does that mean I am not allowed to have sex, or heaven forbid even enjoy it? Sexual chemistry is important to me, but if I am not allowed to do anything intimate with my boyfriend before marriage how am I supposed to know we’ll have good sexual chemistry? To me this is an important part of the joining and human bonding process. If we have bad sexual chemistry we are not going to have a good marriage. If I love my boyfriend, and have a desire for him and even want to kiss him, or show affection such as touching him gently as I walk by him, that’s a sin? How can love be a sin?” She didn’t mention anything to me on the Church’s position of birth control, but that is another topic.

My friend also said this: “The Church strongly suppresses our sexual natures, and if the recent sex abuse scandals have shown us anything, it’s that its sexual ethics policies aren’t working, and the Church may need to take a look at itself in the mirror and revisit its policies rather than the clergy and hierarchy burying their heads in the sand.”

I have seen in the news in the wake of what is happening, nuns are speaking out now and saying they too have been sexually abused and raped by members of the clergy who are supposed to be celibate. You can argue only a small percentage of the clergy are doing this, but even a small percentage is too many! These crimes should not happen at all!

Christ said avoid immoral sexual behavior. This has been defined by the Church throughout the centuries as what is constituted as moral sexual ethics, but its policies have evolved and changed over time, as the recent change to the Church’s stance on capital punishment has shown us.

I did view an article a couple years back on Catholic.org that Pope Francis views the celibacy rule for priests to be archaic and thinks it should change. Here’s the source: https://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=59123

“Because temptation exists, it is good a man take a wife.”

Haha! I love this! I’m also a member of the Rebel Legion and my character is Anakin Skywalker. XD

Wait! Did you actually say I am wrong!

Dude? Are you married?

If you are the I suspect we should talk about a lot more.

You need to get to the world we call “reality” +

Keep your reality. I follow the Catholic Church.

Please post feedback! I am very eager to hear your feedback!

Still not following your original post against me? So that’s a fail. (I FEEL FOR YOU)

Anyway! God bless any newborn children!

I thought you didn’t want feedback? Why should I explain Catholic Teaching to you? You know it already.

If ir is from the Catechism you do not need to!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.