Is silently bragging a mortal sin?

I take great pride sometimes when I do better than others, especially when I achieve ‘‘first place’’ in anything. I do not boast about this in front of others, but in my thoughts I’m always like ‘‘I’m the best, no one can match up to me’’ I try to resist this but it seems to get the better of me.

Is it venial sin or have I committed a mortal sin due to pride?

Also, could you list me some examples of when pride is a mortal sin?

I cant really give examples of when pride is definitely a mortal sin. But the devils rejection of God due to wanting to be equal to God comes to mind.

Your example does not sound like a mortal sin to me. Especially because it seems you do not want to think those thoughts. Maybe venial if that but ask a priest.Try this. No problem realizing you are better at something than someone else as long as you try to be humble about it. But remind yourself every Time That it is not thanks to you alone. God gave you your talent. God gave you your IQ. God gave you your Physical structure whether it is big or small and both do have its advantages. It is all a gift from God. You may have developed your talents a bit but they came from God first. Maybe that is not the answer you wanted but I hope it helps a bit.

Not able for a definition but OUCH… And it will show in your manner and face etc.

It comes naturally for you now, second nature, so no, my opinion is that it is not a mortal sin right now, but as we know bragging can be sinful. The fact that you are asking about it now, or become the object of your focus suggests to me that it is time for you to address it.

Sin is such a personal thing, or maybe I should say it is an individual thing. What is a mortal sin for one person might not be for another. This is part of the nature of sin. A sin today that is not a mortal one can later become one. The more we learn, the more we strive for perfection the higher the bar is raised. This is how people who were never raised with any sort of religion can still make it to heaven provided they lead overall good lives.

So you will need to decide if it is mortal in the end. This is a battle we all go through, I know I do, in the reach for God and heaven.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

PRIDE. An inordinate esteem of oneself. It is inordinate because it is contrary to the truth. It is essentially an act or disposition of the will desiring to be considered better than a person really is. Pride may be expressed in different ways: by taking personal credit for gifts or possessions, as if they had not been received from God; by glorying in achievements, as if they were not primarily the result of divine goodness and grace; by minimizing one’s defects or claiming qualities that are not actually possessed; by holding oneself superior to others or disdaining them because they lack what the proud person has; by magnifying the defects of others or dwelling on them. When pride is carried to the extent that a person is unwilling to acknowledge dependence on God and refuses to submit his or her will to God or lawful authority, it is a grave sin. The gravity arises from the fact that a person shows contempt for God or of those who take his place. Otherwise, pride is said to be imperfect and venially wrong.

While not all sins are pride, it can lead to all sorts of sins, notably presumption, ambition, vainglory, boasting, hypocrisy, strife, and disobedience. Pride strives for perverse excellence. It despises others and, depending on its perversity, even looks down upon God. The remedies for pride are a sincere knowledge of oneself, the acceptance of daily humiliations, avoidance of even the least self-complacency, humble acknowledgment of one’s faults, and prayerful communion with God.

Be careful when you compare others to yourself and find them inferior.

There is nothing wrong with rejoicing (“I did it!”) or being pleased with one’s efforts (“I did my best”). You have your talents and strengths, and you should develop them and use them for good purposes. Figure out how can you use your talents to glorify God and to help the people around you. Bring out the best in yourself and in others.

If it is true that you are the best and no one can match up to you, why do you think that this is a problem?

It could be, but I am interested in why you would think that it is wrong if it really is the truth.

Thinking ourselves sufficient unto ourselves is the problem, more than acknowledging our own excellent performance. Find a way to mentally share your glory with those who have helped you be in that position-- God for having given you talent that you’ve developed, parents for having shuttled you to lessons that they paid for, coaches for having given you guidance, even rivals for having given you inspiration to achieve. You exist in a certain time and place-- find a way to include gratitude and thankfulness in your mental victory celebration.

You have open the door to your inner self to us and admit its prideful - God will see this you cannot hide it from him.

Self esteem is what you should look for rather than pride - pride is false - your self esteem is the real you.People use pride to cover low self esteem. No saying thats the case here only you know.

There are thousands of people better than you they just were not in the contest - if this statement makes you angry then your full of pride,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.